1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Olive eggers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenfriend5, Oct 9, 2016.

1. chickenfriend5

chickenfriend5 New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Hi! Does anyone know how to tell the difference between Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers? Other then their egg color. I mean like, before they start laying. Anyhelp would be appreciated! Thanks! :) [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most EE will have muffs and green legs. Olive eggers, it can depend on what kind they are, and what they are mixed with, but they are more likely to have slate colored legs. You can only be sure once they start laying.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have EEs, they lay blue eggs, Two have no Muffs and one does. They have slate coloured legs...To Make an olive egger you can cross Black Copper Marans with a Blue Ameruacana......

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Short answer....No.
    Unless you know their exact, and accurate, parentage...you'll just have to wait until they lay.

1 person likes this.
  5. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I have a hen that was sold to me as a chick called an Americana, She has Pheasant colored feathers, slate legs and lays beautiful pale green eggs. Would you call her an EE or an Olive egger

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Many, many, many EE's are sold as Ameraucanas, when in fact they are not Ameraucanas...very common to find this.

Green/Olive is subjective...all OE's are basically EE's.
    Green/Olive eggs are a blue shelled egg covered with brown coating.
    The shade of green depends on the parentage, especially the brown coating component.
    The darker the brown genes component in the parent bird, the darker green egg the offspring might lay.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

She is an EE....

Cheers....

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by