1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Olive Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by purplequeenvt, Oct 22, 2011.

1. purplequeenvt

purplequeenvt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    What breed crosses will lay an olive egg?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Any dark brown layer crossed with a blue egg layer will produce a dark olive egg layer. Any medium brown egg layer crossed with a blue egg layer will create a light olive or drab green egg layer.

3. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I crossed a welsummer rooster over EE hens that laid blue/green eggs a few ago. All but one of the resulting pullets laid olive eggs. One laid a brown egg. I was able to sell these pullets for a profit since olive eggers are vogue at the swaps. Plus, the egg production was good. Hybrid vigor maybe?

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    If you want a really nice olive egg-take a pure ameraucana hen ( any color) and cross it with a maran roo or welsummer roo. Beautiful!!!! Or vice versa

5. purplequeenvt

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    So I could cross my Speckled Sussex to an EE and get a chick that (potentially) would lay a light olive egg?

I have a SLW/EE cross rooster......would he be useful in an olive egger project? He is just a couple months old (my duck hatched him) and I was planning on getting rid of him, but if he can be used I might keep him instead.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:you might get a very bleached out colored egg-not dark and deep like a real olive egg should be...

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:You'll just get ordinary green laying Easter Eggers.

8. purplequeenvt

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    So I got a pleasant surprise a couple weeks ago....a black bearded pullet (hatched from a brown egg of unknown origins - not from my chickens) started laying olive colored eggs! They are not a really deep olive, but pretty non-the-less!

9. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    Here are some chicks that I hatched from my Easter eggers crossed with what I think is a Golden Comet roo.

I hatched quite a few with the blueish/green in their beaks and a lot of them have greenish feet. The little yellow one below had the greenest feet I've ever seen. They are getting lighter as "she" (hoping) gets bigger, but they're still pretty green!

IF the little yellow chick below is a female, does the darkness in her legs possibly mean that her eggs might be darker olive than the others without the dark green feet? Just curious if one had anything to do with the other.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I will be getting a blue Ameraucana boy next weekend that I'm very excited about using. He's only 22 weeks old though, so it might be a little while yet till I can use him. I'm getting ahead of myself, but if I breed him back to any olive eggers, what might that do to their egg color-make them a richer olive or more green?

Thanks!

10. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    i have an easter egger roo who is breeding my pr, nice surprise since he is roughly 14-15 weeks old. the hens lay a vague collection of egg colors, one lays something like a creamy almost beige egg that gets darker as the days proceed the other one lays a brown egg that can get real dark. do you guys think that i can get oe? i might incubate a few in the fall so i can have them lay earlier but i have rougly 4 pullets that might start to lay come late june early july, ameracauna and production reds, hopefully i can get olive eggers, easter eggers and then i have anouther batch of 3 pullets (1 other roo)that are one week younger and consist of TT and a SS, and the last batch includes sex-links and amber links that look A LOT like boys.... im soo going to put another smaller coop area up so then i can seperate the pullets and boys and breed the ones that i want to breed... SCIENCE FAIR PROJECT[​IMG][​IMG]this is going to be interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by