Olive eggs?

danielle82

A Good Egg
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Tonasket Wa
I am wanting to get some chickens that lay "different" colors of eggs. I was showing some egg pics to my kids here on the BYC site, after I was done, I guess I forgot to close the window cause my DH said to me a bit later that he would like to get some chickens that lay olive colored eggs!!
ep.gif
celebrate.gif
He has taken hardly any interest in the chickens so far, he did build the coop, but whenever I talk to him about them his eyes sorta glaze over lol anyways I am wondering about the olive eggers... are they just a blue egg layer crossed with a brown egg layer? and the resultng chicks from that match (the hens) would lay olive colored eggs?

Here you go..https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131131
They are just a blue egg laying chicken crossed with a brown egg laying chicken.
You are better to get eggs from pures like Ameraucana and Araucana and browns from Marans and Welsummers
b/c if you cross a EE you are just adding more to the mix and you will lesson your chance of getting an Olive Egger.
If you figure, x amount of shipped eggs will hatch, x will be roosters, and you can either have the remainder be EEs that will lay olive, pink, or brown
or Olive Eggers. If you wanted different colors an EE cross is fine, if you deff want lots of OE go with the pure parents.

Last edited:
If you are up for hatching, I have some dark laying marans in with a splash ameracuana rooster. They quit laying when I moved them about a week ago, but when they start back up, you could hatch some of their eggs. You should get some very pretty blue feathered birds with nice deep olive colored egg laying hens out of the batch.

I have another pen where I am working on barred olive eggers, but the egg color will likely vary somewhat from pullet to pullet this spring because of crossing third generation back and forth, no telling who will inherit which genes... they should all lay varying degrees of khaki, green and olive green though. sometimes variety is nice too.

I also have a white ameraucana that lays a deep blue egg, in with the spash ameraucana rooster, and some dark copper black marans layers from proven dark lines. Then there are the mottled javas, the Naked Neck and the orpingtons that lay a tinted, beige egg. The only color I don't have is white! I am thinking that is my next color of egg layer to add to the flock...

Hey OnTheSpot, how much do you sell those hatching eggs for? I am getting an incubator in a month or so....I have never hatched eggs out before, and I realize Its never certain if any will hatch out or not, but I think it sounds like fun lol

This is the olive egger thread that we have going.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131131

I used ameraucanas and easter eggers to get my olive eggers, I crossed them all to a french black copper marans.
The marans is where you get the dark egg color to cover the blue/green.

Henny Penny, you can stop waiting for the green color from your easter egger, they can lay either blue or green.
If yours is laying a blue egg then that is all she is ever going to lay.
Although easter eggers in general are capable of laying either blue or green it depends what gene they end up with and its not interchangeable.
Some also lay pinkinsh and some end up with brown.
They are mutt chickens so its a roll of the dice.

generally my olive eggs are $3 apiece, mix and match, whatever you want, and if you wanted to get some copper black eggs to go with, so you could cross darker, those are $5 apiece, save money, combine shipping!
It is all a moot point right now, because no olive or easter eggers are laying, only my white ameraucana with a splash ameraucana roo... which would technically make a blue sort of an easter egger because you are mixing colors, from what I read here.

Back
Top Bottom