Olive Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Oct 8, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm starting to compile my spring want list [​IMG] I want a rainbow of eggs.

I want one that lays olive eggs, how do I track one down?

2. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    There are lots of people on here that have olive eggers or sell hatching eggs for olive eggers. They are pretty easy to come by post a wanted ad on here for someone in your area.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    So hens hatched from Olive Eggs will lay them?

4. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    It depends on the rooster that they are kept with.

I have first generation hatching eggs. The eggs come from a welsummer pullet covered by a blue egg gene blue wheaten easter egger rooster. So the pullets hatched will lay an olive egg.

Olive eggers can be accomplished in a few ways. You need a dark egg gene and a blue egg gene. The dark egg gene comes from either marans or welsummers and the blue egg gene comes from ameraucanas or easter eggers (if using easter eggers you need to know that they lay a blue or green egg) I do believe that there is another rare breed of chicken out there that lays a blue egg but I can't think of it right now.

ETA: Legbars and araucanas are the other two blue egg breeds I was thinking of.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As said above. [​IMG]

There are indeed quite a few people here who offer hatching eggs of Olive Eggers, both F1 (first cross of a dark layer and blue/green layer; gets you a good olive color) and F2 and beyond (the next cross, which usually gets you a really dark olive green, sometimes verging on a weird super dark greenish brownish color) And, since there's a good number of combs to make Olive Eggers, everyone's got their "recipes" of breeds and color varieties to use, so it's always fun to go around and see what people offer. [​IMG]

I for example do two very rare combos from time to time - Blue, Normal, and Splash Wheaten Olive Eggers (beard/muffs and feathered legs) as well as assorted Duckwing, Blue Cuckoo, and Blue Copper Olive Eggers with Araucana influence (half of them may be tufted and/or rumpless; all will have feathered legs)

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks for explaining it to me. Now I know what to look for. Can't wait for spring!

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    OK y'all. I have my green egger EE and a GLWyandotte rooster. Would that give me more green eggs? Sucks, I just might get me an incubator.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by