1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Olive Green Eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stirkle, Jan 23, 2011.

1. stirkle

stirkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Hi,

I am just wondering if these eggs would be desirable... they are a consequence of breeding a welsummer rooster (brown eggs) with a cream legbar (blue eggs)...

Does anybody know if these eggs would be desirable like the cuckoo maran eggs, the dark dark brown ones...

[​IMG]

2. stirkle

Mar 13, 2010
    they are slightly darker than that image, think the light made them look lighter

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't understand the question. Desireable for?

4. stirkle

Mar 13, 2010
    showing the eggs or for people who look for different coloured eggs...

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I think for showing the eggs it has to be pure breed. As for selling I have to convince everyone at work I sell to that my blue and green eggs are true. Sometimes people are takin back by the colored eggs and darker brown eggs but now everyone likes they and wants them. Are you trying to sell for hatching?

6. stirkle

Mar 13, 2010
    well surely loads of chickens aren't proper pure breeds because most chickens have been bred with other breeds to get all the different breeds?

But yea I think my mini beetroot will be shown this year, pure breed or not.

7. Welsummer Rancher

Welsummer Rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Longview, Texas
    I suppose that those eggs would be as desirable as any other color eggs especially for eating as there is really no difference in taste between eggs of different chicken breeds, marans included. I lean more to brown or colored eggs myself, but I think it is simply a case of colored eggs being more pleasing to my eyes than basic white eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by