OLIVE GREEN EGGS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Thefarmersmistress, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Thefarmersmistress

Thefarmersmistress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    I have 2 goals. My first is to create a strain that lays an olive green egg. I now have my barnvelders, welsummers and marans' hen producing their first eggs. Does the olive green egg work on only marans and Americaunas or will a lighter version happen with the barnvelders and welsummers.

My second goal is to get a strain of blue laced red that has dark red like the rhode island and light gray on the lacing. I have lilac orpingtons, blue laced reds and barnvelders to do this.

I know both of these are going to take years. Does anyone have this type of experience with suggestions that would eliminate wasting time.

2. lidy banny woo

lidy banny woo Out Of The Brooder

Welcome to BYC

First, I should ask how you intend to use the Barnevelders in the BLR project. They don't carry Dark-Red, and the dark areas are Basecolor (eumelanin).

The first project is not too hard. True Olive Eggers are incomplete crosses, with one dose of the Blue egg gene and one dose of the dark egg gene. Olives can occur without the dark egg gene. Loden Eggers, which are incredibly rare and hard to breed, have two doses of the Blue and Dark genes.

3. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    by light gray do you mean lavender? because i'm pretty sure lavender affects the dark red- lightening it to a buff maybe? Thee is an olive egger thread that may be helpful, too.

What color do Loden Eggers lay?

4. Lovely Emily

Lovely Emily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Loden Eggers I think lay eggs that are very dark pure green? I think.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What is Loden Eggers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by