Oliver is crowing again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henrietta23, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Oliver is my buttercup/silkie roo who is now about 3 1/2 months old. He was crowing every morning while living in the basement with his two brothers. He started getting a little aggressive so I separated him. He started acting depressed and stopped crowing. I moved him to a dog pen in the garden shed where he could see my adult hens. Still no crowing. After a week or so out there he got out one weekend morning while I was putting fresh water in. I let him walk around while I watched. My two adult hens just ambled over and started hanging out with him and things have been great ever since. He went right in to roost with them that night and has ever since. After a few weeks of that he seems much happier. And this morning, while I was taking care of the pullets I heard him crow twice! Kept waiting for the neighbors to call but no one did. He was polite enough to wait till after 8:00. This morning anyway. Here he is hanging out by my (fenced in) vegetable garden: [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    What a handsome roo! I'm glad he has bounced back for you. [​IMG]

3. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Thanks! He's getting a bunch of new feathers on his neck and is looking more grown up everyday. To see him sitting on the deck rail crowing will be a proud moment for me!

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    thats great I want a rooster I think my neighbors would kill me I should just tell them its for defense again their dogs and if they can shut their dogs up I will find a way to shut my rooster up I would love to have one but would feel guilty for leaving him in the shed. maybe I could do that at night and when I am leaving for school put him in with the hens HMMMMM their may be a Barred Rock or Orph or Wheten amerucana rooster in my ladies future [​IMG] My mom would be ticked though.

Henry

5. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California
    What a beautiful rooster !!!!

BTW.....what does a depressed chicken look like / do?

Lee

6. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    He's very handsome! So glad that he resumed crowing! [​IMG]

7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Well, he just kind of looked depressed! He wanted out of his crate in the worst way. He stopped crowing. His comb seemed pale. He was eating and drinking fine. He had been very cuddly and he stopped.
    He loves being outside with the two older hens. He crowed again this morning at exactly 8:00. Hopefully my neighbors can live with that. The dogs in the neighborhood make more noise than Oliver does. So do my female duck and the goats that live around the corner and down the hill. [​IMG]

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    sounds like you live on a giant comunal farm [​IMG] the neighbors dogs bark all he time I think crowing would just bother them because it is a foriegn noise they have gotten used to my hens laying noises which I think are probably louder than any rooster. The mini horses down the street neigh all the time like they are being chased by some terrible monster of something.

Good Luck hope he figures out how to mate and you can have some home made babies! How many other little roosters do you have? Also I haven't seen you coop in a while how is it looking I can't find a post with the finished product?

Henry

9. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Nope, not at all, just semi rural suburbia if that makes any sense. I'm the only one on our dead end street that has chickens. There are people on the street ours comes off of that have chickens. I can hear a rooster in the distance.
    We have one other roo now, George, a silkie. Little Primo now lives with perfectly polish. He was so tiny I was afraid to let him free range. Here is a link to the coop thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46453

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

He's gorgeous!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by