Oliver strikes again

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by luvmypets, Mar 17, 2013.

1. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Well our rooster Oliver is ripping up the hens backs. He shares a flock of 15 hens with 2 other bantam roo's. However he is top dog. He already scares me enough and now he hurting the poor hens...pecking there feathers right in half, and even completely off. The other day we separated them putting the worst hens in the stall with the red cochin rooster Rocky. Please give me advice on how to help our poor girls.

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    3 ROOS ARE TOO MANY FOR 15 GIRLS.ESPECIALLY FIRST YEAR. I WOULD LEAVE ONE BOY WITH THE GIRLS AND EVEN CAN MAKE SADLES FOR THEM. YOU DO NOT NEED TO KEEP ROO WHO IS ATTAKING YOU.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If he is scaring you and injuring the hens, then why are you keeping him? Either cull him, or sell him to someone who will. Stand up for your girls who give you eggs.

4. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    I would not have an agressive Rooster. I love everyone too much! And there are too many Great Roosters out there to put up with that kind of behavior.

5. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Thanks everyone for the advice. well were hoping we can put him out in the field when the weather gets better. Also the two other roos are... much smaller and don't tear up the girls backs. Oliver is huge and he does hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by