Olive's Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyfeathers, Feb 4, 2014.

1. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Hello,
    A few weeks ago Olive laid her first egg, unfortunately she got her wing caught between two walls, I don't know how long she was stuck there. I gather up her up and her egg and brought her inside for some much needed rest. She appears fine, she eats, drinks, poops and gets around as usual. This may have nothing to do with her first egg experience but I noticed yesterday that her eye doesn't open.
    [​IMG]

I bathed her today and put a warm wash rag on the eye for some time but she still doesn't open it. I hope some chicken bully didn't peck her in the eye. My question is can I put something on the eye like A&E ointment or anything to help her eye open back up? I don't have antibiotics on hand but any help would be appreciated. Hopefully Olive's next spa day won't be when she is not feeling so well. Am I the only Crazy Chicken Lady who bathes their chickens and brings them in the house. My hubby thinks I'm nuts, I think he is right lol. [​IMG]Thanks for your time..
    [​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Watch her closely for any signs of respiratory illness . Sometimes this can affect the eyes. You can try using colloidal silver in the eye if you think it has debris or a scratch. You can get the silver at any health food store. Use 500 parts per million.ppm. Silver. Three drops into the eye twice daily. I use silver for my birds eyes.it works like a antiseptic and has healing properties. It's also very gentle and natural for them. I've had great success with the silver. You might want to give it a try..If you notice any wheezing coughing mucus sneezing then this could be related to respiratory . For now try the silver And see if the eye improves. I wish you the very best!!

3. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Thank you very much for your help!

4. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Good news: Olives eye opened today so maybe the warm compress worked..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by