Olivia is BROODY! Olivia is broody! Happy Dance!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Apr 26, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She teases me from time to time, then snaps out of it without even spending the night on a nest. She's been screaming and puffing out like a demented beachball with feathers on and off for weeks now and I'd about decided she's just weird. Well, yesterday, she did lay an egg, but stayed on the nest for the entire day and all night. Today, I gathered three BR eggs from three different hens who should still be fertile by Hawkeye (miss you, Big Guy) and traded hers for those three. Tonight, after dark, we moved her to the broody pen, which is inside the other coop, where I had a nest, food and water all ready for her. At last, a broody! Olivia and her two sisters, Kate and Tux, are the PoufyHead sisters, almost identical. They have broody in their blood, for goodness sake! Their sire was a standard Cochin/Silkie cross and their mother (or mothers) was a Barred Rock hen from helmstead's flock. Now, if Sunny goes broody right now, not sure what to do! Here's my sweet Livvie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Congrats on the broody. my 4 frizzle finally stopped being broody so I only have a cuckoo maran still trying to sit on eggs. I hope that stops soon too.

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Congrats to you ! Hopefully she will have success!

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    [​IMG] She is so cute, Cyn!!! I want someone with a mini-pouf!

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Congratulations! And may I say, she is one beautiful hen!

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Hey! :mad:
    I'm not broody!

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congratulations! I hope she has a 100% hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hey!
    I'm not broody!

Sorry, not you, Olivia, LOL! [​IMG]
    Well, we moved Livvie after dark last night to the broody pen. This morning, I found her clamoring at the door to get out, jumping up and down like a crazy woman. She had pooped and the eggs were warm, but when I opened the gate, thinking maybe she wanted to dustbathe, she ran to the main coop, wanting back on the nest she started on. In her little chicken brain, her eggs are on that nest, not the one we put her on. So, to save the eggs and her broody trance, we put the three BR eggs back on the nest in the main coop (it's at floor level, the one she always lays in) Not sure if I can convince her to move. I may have to wait till the eggs hatch and then move her with the chicks to the broody pen for safety. I don't like this because I can't see in that dark nest! [​IMG]

Lynn, I adore my three PoufyHead Sisters! They are just the sweetest, most adorable girls. Kate loves to sit in the hammock, Tux follows me around, watching everything I do, so I have to be careful if I'm doing something that could be dangerous to her or that I don't want her to see for some reason, and Olivia is the jealous type. If I'm holding another hen and she wants me to put that girl down and pick her up, she comes up and hanks on my jeans. The problem is that she'll often get a good bit of flesh with the denim, LOL.​

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  9. Yotta Yotta

Yotta Yotta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    Wow! She's a very beautiful bird! I hope when I get chickens they can look like that with that personality [​IMG]

10. chicken mamma

chicken mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    Congrats, I've only been on here a short time, but its hilarious, that so many people have given there chickens the same names that I have given mine, Olivia just seemed like a proper name for a chicken when i named my largest red star that. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by