1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Olivia the Silkie Has an Attitude!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alexa2008, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Alexa2008

Alexa2008 New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    NW Ohio
    So, I am new to the chicken world and just got my first two the beginning of July. From what I was told, they were both teenagers I guess. One is a Silkie (Olivia) and the other is an Astrolotrpe (Ebony). I have notice that Olivia has become very vocal and mean I guess you can say, over the last two weeks. She has even started doing the morning call (cock a doodle do) lol. I have no experience with chickens, so I am baffled by her, all the sudden change in behavior. She is very vocal and is very agressive towards Ebony.

Anyone know what's going on with her?[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like Olivia is an Oliver.....Rooster

3. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    I am a 100% sure its a roo sorry! lol Cockadoodledoo is a males thing!

4. Alexa2008

Alexa2008 New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    NW Ohio
    Well, in that case, my husband said he's changing its name to Freddie Mercury lol. And thanks for the responses. I was afraid of that. I love in the city and they past and ordinance last year that we can't have roosters. :( Are there and physical traits tell a male from a female Silkie?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Olivia is indeed a cockerel. Silky cockerels/roosters generally have slightly looser crests with some longer spikey feathers, more upright coarser tails and occasionally longer 'saddle' feathers than pullets/hens. Silkies are more to gender identify by secondary feather sexing than are other breeds.

6. Alexa2008

Alexa2008 New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    NW Ohio
    Thanks every one! I have a home lined up for him today. I am trading for a hen that's laying since my other is not yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by