ols fashioned egg custard recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by lotsachickens, Jan 21, 2008.

1. lotsachickens

lotsachickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2008
    Mount Vernon, Ohio
    Hi all
    I need an old fashioned egg custard recipe. My mom used to make it, and I never got the recipe.
    I love custard!!

2. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I have a good one...It is my great grandmothers recipe but I am not home right now [​IMG] I will check back and if you don't get one once I am home I will give it to you. It is soooooo good! Yum Yum
    Mitzi

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm bumping this up, cause I'd like a good recipe as well!

4. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Here's the one my mom shared with me recently. It's not as sweet as I thought it would be. Maybe a minor tweek here and there. But, it's still really good.

2 cups whole milk (warmed, but not burned or boiled so it doesn't cook the eggs)

3 large eggs

1/3 cup sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla (I use pure vanilla for better flavor)

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

Start the oven first so the mixture doesn't have to cool at all. While the milk is warming on the stove, I whip the eggs and add the other ingredients. Add the milk slowly to the egg mix, while whipping.

425* oven 22 minutes (mine always take longer, you may need to adjust the time) Use the knife test for doneness.

5. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I'd like that recipe too!! [​IMG]

6. RedStickLA

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Here is the Custard recipe...Sorry I did not get it posted sooner. I have been very busy since we have returned home. I have so much to catch up on...And to top it off my daughter has come down with the flu which is VERY bad for my husband who just had a stem cell transplant...

But I am so Thankful to be back home!
    Mitzi

Custard

1 Gallon of Milk
    1 cup Corn Starch
    3 ¾ cups of Sugar
    15 Egg Yolks
    Vanilla
    Dash of Salt

Combine Sugar, Corn Starch and Salt. Blend. Combine milk and egg yolks, gradually stir into sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils. Cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add Vanilla. (2 big spoons full or according to taste) Put pot into a sink of cold water to cool and put wax paper over custard until it cools. After it cools put back into milk carton and refrigerate.

7. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:This kinda sounds more like vanilla pudding, maybe?

8. RedStickLA

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Well [​IMG] ...
    My family has made this "Custard" recipe my entire life and it is my great grandmothers recipe...It is made every Christmas. We don't make egg nog we make custard...This is OUR family's recipe for custard not vanilla pudding...you drink it like egg nog. It is very rich and creamy.
    Mitzi

9. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Oh, okay. Didn't mean to offend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by