1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Omaha Steaks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HEChicken, Jan 30, 2011.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I have never ordered from Omaha Steaks but got one of their coolers off Freecycle and made it into an incubator. I've been really happy with it because the styrofoam is so thick it holds temps/humidity perfectly. However it is not that big inside. Haha - hatching bug has hit. So my question is - how big do these things come? I'd like to post on Freecycle for another one but wasn't sure if it is even possible to get one that is larger than the one I already have. What is the largest Omaha Steaks cooler you've seen/heard of?

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    dont have the answer for you. how were the steaks tho? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Quote:We were given some steaks as a gift, I still have the cooler! The steaks were a real disappointment. The cooler wasn't real big, but it is much thicker than most. I'm not sure how big they come.

I used to manage a seafood store- the wholesalers often sent whole salmon in big, thick coolers! Maybe ask around?

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:Quote:We were given some steaks as a gift, I still have the cooler! The steaks were a real disappointment. The cooler wasn't real big, but it is much thicker than most. I'm not sure how big they come.

I used to manage a seafood store- the wholesalers often sent whole salmon in big, thick coolers! Maybe ask around?

really disappointement? i would love meat delivered to my door. especially when its so pricey.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The steaks were really thin, didn't look like the pics at all. Cut pretty unevenly too.

ETA, I now wait for a really good deal on whole ribeye roasts and cut them myself. Freeze, so DH is happy all year with steak on the grill once a month or so.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    if i had an extra freezer, i would buy more meat. theres so much you can do with it. thanks for the info on their steaks tho. [​IMG]

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    My mom has sent us one of those Omaha Steaks packages for the last three years or so. Vastly overpriced in my opinion, but it's a gift so I am not going to complain.

The coolers are quite stout so we make sure to save them.

Larger ones of the same thickness are made but they may be hard to come by. Google would be your friend there, but buying them new would probably cost as much as simply making one of the proper size from styrofoam insulation boards from the hardware store.

8. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    We got some steaks from them for christmas, and weren't impressed with the quality, either. The Filet mignons were gristly.

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I won some steaks as a prize and mine were really good. But, I wouldn't pay that much for them if I were buying them myself. Mine was in a small box, so it couldn't have been used as a brooder or anything.

10. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    a friend gave us one of those coolers to bring home our processed pig in. it was a pretty big one, like 18x24x12. not as small as the coolers that DH's insulin comes in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by