Omega-3 eggs***Fish Meal Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by willkatdawson, Jan 4, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I read an article in Bottom Line Magazine today titled

"Super Food for Your Brain."

"Eggs containing Omega-3 are among the best foods for the brain because they contain Folate along with Omege-3's and Choline. Folate is a B vitamin that's strongly linked to mood and mental performance."

Recommended: " Up to eight eggs a week. Only buy eggs that say Omega-3 on the label. It means that the chickens were given a FISH MEAL diet. Eggs without this label contain little or no Omega-3's."

Does anyone know where to buy this fish meal feed? Do any of you make it for your chickens?
    Thanks

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    we use left over fish we fry up in the summer, I put it through my magic bullet to grind it up and then into freezer bags and store it in the freezer. Some ppl use all leftover fish products.

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    There are several places you can order the fish meal from, I think I got my last 50# bag from 7 Springs Farm . According to their web site, they aren't selling the one preserved with Naturox anymore, with is approved for organic programs. This version is available from Countryside Naturals . You can find more options by dong a search for fish meal with Naturox (or Ethoxyquin, whichever you prefer).

Edited to say: your chickens will LOVE you for it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Thanks, by the way I love Tenn. We have a cabin on the NC, GA, and TN border and we hope to end up there full time someday.

5. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    I feed my chickens flax seeds instead, I have read complaints that feeding chickens fish meal makes the eggs taste "fishy" but haven't tried it myself to know whether this is true or not. I feed them flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc, etc.

6. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Do black oil sunflower seeds have the omega-3's? I feed it anyway with their scratch and was wondering if I'm also making healthier eggs.

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I think catching a fish, cleaning it, feed chickens the scraps, eat the good parts is a good way to get lots of omega 3 in your diet. I could be wrong though.

8. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Quote:I have flax seed, how much do you feed them?

9. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I feed flax seeds. I also bought some ground up flax seeds. I mix it in with their food. Not sure how much I put in there, I just throw it in and mix it around. I also as a treat had a jar I keep of whole flax seeds and dried fruits and seeds I give as treats when I go out to see my chickens. I give a few handfuls to pass around. My mother in law insists I give them flax seeds even offered to pay for it. /shrug

10. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Quote:I have flax seed, how much do you feed them?

I give them (all organic) 1 part flax seeds, 1 part sunflower seeds, 1 part pumpkin seeds, 1 part dried coconut chips, 1 part dehulled barley, 3 parts spelt grain, 3 parts alfalfa pellets, 2 parts dried corn, 1 part oatmeal, 2 parts hard winter wheat, 3 parts layer pellets, 1 part layer crumbles (I have a very small banty english game hen, all the way up to a 2 1/2 ft. tall lt. Brahma rooster in my coop) I mix these up in a large container with a lid, and give 1/4 of it 4 times per day. I also give them layer pellets free choice, and free choice: kelp, dried molasses, cayenne, a mineral supplement, dried comfrey, dried parsley, oyster shell grit and granite grit, and I also add raw apple cider vinegar to their water.

You might guess that they seem to be very healthy girls, indeed!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by