Omega-3 Fatty Acid Eggs

peckhamchick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 16, 2007
Hi,

I've read (somewhere) that if you want to have eggs that are chock-full of Omega-3 fatty acids, that you can feed flax seed. Does anyone know about this? If so, do you feed the seed or the oil? How much of either? Are there any associated risks or other drawbacks? Are there other feed additives that will also help? Can you send a sample of eggs out for crude analysis to make sure that what you're doing is working?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kate Hoffman
Veterinary Technician
University of Rhode Island Animal & Veterinary Science Student

A friend of mine feeds linseed meal (which is derived from the flax plant) for that reason, however he has never sent any of his eggs for testing. Some commercial egg farms use specialized to feed to increase the Omega-3s, which uses 10 to 20% ground flaxseed. This produces (in a diet with 10% flaxseed) an increase of Omega-3s from .04 grams to .4 grams, which is significant. The eggs produced also have less cholesterol.

www.eggs.ca/pdf/omega-3_e.pdf

You can probably google for more information on this, too.

smile.png

I wondered how those Egglands Best people could say their eggs were higher in all that stuff!

My dad says he will only want fresh eggs from us if they are as good as Egglands Best. I have not yet had the joy of a fresh egg, but I'm sure they will make EB look like something the equivalent of a chicken McNugget!

Where would a person get flaxseed in feed-size quantities if they wanted to feed them?

Just letting them free range will increase the omega 3 levels significantly over anything produced commercially.

Commercial operations do not use flax as an feed additive due to cost. They use canola. flax is a far superior option though.

I feed ground flax seed to my horses, i have to order mine online. I've asked several feed stores in my area, no one will carry it, i guess supply and demand. I think the only draw back is they become very easy keepers and put on weight easily. Their coats are awesome and shiny, so i imagine with chickens it produce the same effect and have great lower chlosterol eggs.

Back
Top Bottom