1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Omega 3 powder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Anna_MN, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    Today while my mother and I were having a "bonding" day, I had to stop at the feed mill and get some different things for the chicks. While I was putting in my feed order to pick up next week, my mother came across a supplement for laying hens. It is pure flax powder that you add to the layer ration and it is supposedly going to add more Omega 3s to my hen's eggs. I was not willing to pay the $25 for a bag that is only supposed to last a month for 10 hens- that's when my mother offered to "donate" the bag to my chickens. Have any of you ever used this product? Was it successful? What are your thoughts/opinions on it? Any input would be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have never bought the powder you are referring too but I buy Layena brand pellet feed for my hens which has the Omega 3 in the feed and I pay $15.99 for a 50 lb bag at TSC. Not sure what feed stores you have in your area.

3. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    I feed flax to my horses for its omega 3 content - it is brilliant stuff. It is cheaper to buy the whole seeds and grind them fresh daily, and the oils maintain their effectiveness better too.

4. Anna_MN

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    If any of you have been skeptical of this product- DON'T BE! I have been giving this to my 3 girls for the past 4 days and my girls have laid 3 eggs every one of those days. On the packaging it claims that it takes at least 2 weeks to make a difference in egg color and nutrition but I am already seeing a difference. So far my eggs don't taste any different either. I am so happy my mother bought this product! Totally worth the money! [​IMG]

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I feed flax meal to my horses and chickens but I buy the seeds and grind it myself, much cheaper that way.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It's just Linseed/ "Flax-seed" meal.

I would watch feeding Linseed/ Flax-seed to your poultry and if you do limit it to 2 - 3 percent of there diet. Over feeding Linseed/ Flax-seed has been found to affect growth of birds, cause sticky droppings and also give a fishy flavor to eggs and meat.

Chris

7. Anna_MN

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I only give them about an eighth of a cup with their food. Sometimes I only sprinkle it on- trying not to waste it haha.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    That might be ok, Im not positive what a 1/8 cup of linseed meal would weigh.

1 - 2 percent of linseed meal would be, 1 to 2 lbs linseed to 98 to 99 pounds of there regular feed.

Also if your bird's free range there already omega 3's from the grass that they eat.

Chris

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    My girls get layer mash offered at will but I also give them a mixture of wheat(s), flax, millet, hulled sunflower seeds, quinoa and a couple of other grains that I can't remember because I'm not looking directly at them. (LOL) Since they are allowed to free range my back yard most of the day, I spread this mixture over a part of the yard so that they have some goodies to find. Much like scratch but more nutritious and without the corn. Yep they are spoiled little ladies. Usually they clean it up but what is left sprouts when it rains and they eat the sprouts so it isn't wasted. They have been getting this since they were about 6 weeks old and their eggs are delicious and the yolks almost orange with no fishy taste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by