OMega 3 Rich Diet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tea S., Jun 21, 2011.

1. Tea S.

Tea S. Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Trying to avoid corn because of anti-inflametory reasons. Anything besides corn to throw for scratch? and what is good supplemental feeding to increase omega 3 in eggs?

Thanks,
    Tea

2. SubUFarmer

SubUFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Grovetown
    Flax seed. Purina makes a feed called Layena. They also make a special Layena that contains flax which is supposed to triple the amount of Omega 3 in each egg... I am still looking for something to feed them which will also put more Omega 6 and 9 in the eggs. For the "scratch," we give them oats which we have heard lowers their internal temperature. We also give them weeds pulled from the garden, all kinds of kitchen scraps and we even cut up whole apples. They love apples!

3. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    My chickens eat everything. Not all of them will like everything, but I throw all leftovers to them and let them decide if they like it. It was going in the trash anyway. I also begin each morning feeding wild bird classic mix, sunflower seeds, parakeet or some other small seed formula, flax any other nuts and seeds laying around. Then I fill the feeders and they run around the rest of the day eating whatever they can find. They also love ground roasted garbanzos. Everything gets thrown to them from the fridge and cupboards.

4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    I just let them roam in the yard. They eat everything they come across, and find almost all of their needs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by