omega 3 supplement

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kmatt87, Sep 10, 2012.

1. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Does anyone add this to their chicken feed? I've seen it at stores and was wondering if it makes much of a difference

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I don't do a supplement per se, but I do try to give them food that is high in omega3, in particular, flax seed and leafy green vegetables. I don't know if I buy into the idea of it reducing the cholesterol in the eggs but who knows? It can't hurt and I do believe those foods are good for them (and us) so...

3. pupsicle

pupsicle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    My mother-in-law fed her 200+ Omega 3 supplements at one point, but the eggs started tasting horribly fish. I don't give mine the supplement, but if I did I'd check first to make sure that they're not fish- or kelp-based.

4. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    i never thought of that. Something else to think about when researching.... thanks

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Many supplements are flax seed based, but that too can make eggs taste fishy if given too much. It is not just fish meal that does this.

6. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I give mine regular flax seed...but only about a tablespoon a week...I mix it in with yogurt so they don't get a lot per bird. Chia seeds and sprouted radish seeds are also high in omega3, but I've not tried them...yet ;) So are walnuts, but they're just too darned expensive for our budget.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by