Omega 3 ???

stay away from anything with soy, safflower or sunflower. I just read a book that says those things increase the Omega 6 oils in eggs. Those are the ones that aren't as healthy for you.

What the book really says is there needs to be a 1:1 balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6

Allowing them to eat lots of greens and feeding them fish meal or flax will all help. For the most part, hens living on farms (or backyards) produce eggs that are naturally higher in Omega 3 and lower in cholesterol than factory eggs.

stay away from anything with soy, safflower or sunflower. I just read a book that says those things increase the Omega 6 oils in eggs. Those are the ones that aren't as healthy for you.

When they cut open those arterial plaques that kill you, they are loaded with omega 6 fatty acids...NOT saturated fat like some would have you believe. The only plant based oils I use are coconut oil and olive oil.​

I know that cows who are pastured produce butter with higher omega-3s (something about the sunlight, I can't remember what right now), so would pasturing chickens result in the same effect on the eggs?

I've been feeding my hens fish lately. They love it... and so far I haven't noticed a difference in taste of eggs... but we gave away about 10 dozen today so I'll wait for comments!

Quote:
What about black oil sunflower seed? Isn't that different? I've been giving them to my birds as a treat in their run and coop to keep them busy and they love them, I also throw a bunch of flax seed in their feed and mix it up.

Quote:
What about black oil sunflower seed? Isn't that different? I've been giving them to my birds as a treat in their run and coop to keep them busy and they love them, I also throw a bunch of flax seed in their feed and mix it up.

Dunno. All the book says is sunflower oil. It also says not to feed your chickens (and other livestock) corn as corn oil is also high in Omega 6's.

The book is Anticancer--A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber a doctor who had brain cancer.

Gonna see if I can find this info in a link I have.

Added: http://www.pinkribbon.org/Anticancer/Environment/tabid/442/Default.aspx

This
is all I could find at the link.
"Changes in methods of farming and raising animals and, as a result, in our food - From the 1950s onward, farmers changed the way they fed their livestock. Shifting from the traditional pastures to the easier battery farming. This change in the livestock's diet and living environment ultimately affected the balance of omega-3 and omega-6 in the food they produced (meat, milk, butter, eggs, etc.), resulting in an imbalance in the foods consumed by humans. "

PS--My girls love sunflower seeds too. They raid the neighbors feeders all the time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom