1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG! 3 Japs now Piping! day 5 pic

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by secuono, Nov 14, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I am beyond excited, I'm almost crying! Friday night, I thought I was hallucinating, I was very ill, so didn't think much of it. Today, my awesome boyfriend got me a new flashlight, I went up to candle eggs to toss empty ones. But as soon as I opened the bator, PEEEP Peep!
    Eee! I was so happy. Found one with a tiny crack, made it a slightly bigger hole, maybe the size of a smiley-[​IMG] <<---
    Then I heard another egg peeping! And the first chick peeped at the other and they had a little chat before I found it, it also had a crack, made another little hole, both seemed to like the fresh air. Misted all the eggs, they are still in the bator, on the turner. I moved these two off the turner to the side so they won't keep swaying. As I was about to close the bator, another peeper! I couldn't figure out which it was, no pip yet, so left them be to come share!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    [​IMG] thats awesome but!
    you know the rules

no pics no proof [​IMG]

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I know! Waiting on my camera battery to charge!

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Total of 6 chicks piping still, one hatched but might die, no skull cap.
    More bad news, nearly all of the eggs I bought online were either empty or failures...

2 hatched, then died. I have little hope any will make it now.
    I just hope I have my receipt for the incubator and turner....

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Good news! One baby is up and walking!
    Another is out and working on walking.
    Bad news, 1 died, failed to absorb all the yolk and quit.
    Might be bad news, 1 was shrink wrapped and I had to help it out. It popped out itself as soon as I gave it enough room. He was on a mission to get the heck outta there, lol. But the 'bellybutton' was bleeding some, this is why I'm not sure it'll make it. It also has curled feet. I was going to wait until it's more dry and looks like it will make it before I stress it with taping it's feet.

When should I worry about them drinking? Should I dip their beaks once they are fully dry?

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Top, 1st chick, walking, cleaning itself and pecking at food.
    Bottom, 2nd chick, walking.
    Middle, 3rd chick, wiggling.
    [​IMG]

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'm glad you got some to hatch! I saw this yesterday and was feeling bad for you. The one that was stuck will most likely do just fine. I did have one like that in my last batch that was healthy, but ended up with one crooked toe.

8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Technically, all were shrink wrapped, some I was able to spray water and they stayed moist. Others, they dried out real fast, even with the water can and wet towel.

Just hoping these 3 turn into great little birds!

9. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    WHat did you do that made them shrink wrapped

10. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    How should I know, first time incubating and last time.

humidity must of been too low, no real lock down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by