OMG, 3 weeks old and gone through 50lbs of feed.

terry's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
I just opened my 2nd 50lb bag of chick starter for my exactly had these 26 chciks for 3 weeks. I don't throw away the food, just add. How can they eat so much, they are large breed RIR, Orph, Wynt. I feed them 2 hard boiled eggs a day as a treat, but wow, I'm surprised how much they eat?????

26 grown chickens will eat approx. 50 lbs of food in ONE week. So since you have growin gbabes, 50 lbs for 3 weeks doesn't sounds too crazy. I had 24 babies and they ate a TON. It wasn't being wasted, either. Their brooder was pecked clean and they still ate me out of house and home!
wink.png

Mine just went through a 20# bag in 2 1/2 weeks or so. We just bought a 50# sack yesterday. They eat and waste a lot when so young. We have 27, mostly large breed RIR and leghorn chicks.

Obviously we don't get chickens to save money? Right? we have spent probably $800. on coop, and run, maybe more. But they are so cute and comforting,we just go sit in the coop and play and love on them, makes you feel good. I'm glad they are healthy and thriving. Good thing we eat a lot of eggs. Still working on the run. need to take pictures and post.

I have 26lbs in a 30lb hanging feeder for the older 14 chicks (had them 3 weeks) and I have had my 8 EEs 2 weeks, my 15 BAs 1 week, 4 Banties and 2 Golden Comets for a few days. I still have a little food left in my 50lb bag. That's 43 chicks, if anyone needed a total number. My BAs and EEs get one hard boiled egg just about daily - not a lot for 23 chickens. I guess mine hasn't been told they need to eat more.
idunno.gif

(Please don't let the secret out!
fl.gif
)

i call my chickie babies....chickie PIGGIES! I have 8 and I am refilling their feeder thing at least twice/day! I thought they were all 2 weeks old, but I think they might be older... they have a lot of their "big girl feathers" and they are SO tall! is there any good way to figure out how old they are ?

I wonder why they say"Don't eat like a pig!"? It should be "Don't eat like a chicken!"
big_smile.png

My 41 chicks and 4 ducklings have consumed (since feb 27th) 150 lbs of feed!AND TREATS!!

I am always suprised by how much they eat. This year I helped my sister start her addiction..I mean flock..and she asked if she should buy this little bag of feed for 10 chicks and 2 ducks. I said..um..no.. you need this big huge bag and that will only last you a few weeks. I told her she'd go through 2-3 bags before it was time to "switch" to the grower. I have 6 Golden comets that are 3-4 weeks and 6 2 week olds..I"m almost out of my first bag. AT first its a lot of waste so I just take out the empty bowl and let them scratch but I cleaned out my gc cage and there wasnt hardly any wasted and they were eating 3 Qt jars a day!! Everyone says we have chickens..but really they are pigs in disquise!

I was just thinking the same thing! I have teenagers right now and they are eating machines! Need to go to the feed store but am afraid of seeing the babies
love.gif
. I don't NEED any more. Really I don't. Just food.

Back
Top Bottom