OMG! 4 week old cockerel crowing???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickenfamily, Mar 23, 2009.

1. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my first experience with cockerels. I have a 4 week old cockerel that is CLEARLY making a silly attempt at crowing for the first time this morning! [​IMG] Is this normal??

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    That's quite early...lol! I have 4-month-olds who are just starting to give it a go, but that's probably b/c they live with my bigger/older/dominant roo.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    for fayoumis if their not crowing by 8 weeks its ab-normal [​IMG] they usually start at 5..

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Hee hee! That must be a funny noise. I've never had one crow so early, but I did have a few "pullets" several years ago and one of them turned out to be a cockeral.

Questionable Pullet: arr *cough* raroooo *coughsputter* rr rr rr

Me: Um, honey I think one of our pullets might be a roo..

DH: Nah, she's just trying to find her cackle

Me: Ok then then we shall see but you know that I AM always right.

DH: uhyuh

3 days later while lying in bed on a Saturday morning

Urr urr URRRRRRRRR!

Me: *snicker* hee hee hee

DH: Don't even say it.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A few will even show their dominance as early as 1 week. I had a little splash that went home with MustBeCrazy that was doing his best to crow at 9 days.

6. Chik-N-Crazy

Chik-N-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    I think I have one doing the same thing!! It is 3 weeks old and keeps stretching his neck up and opening it's mouth. No sounds just the stretch thing!! Could that be him trying to crow? I haven't seen any others do it, this is also the one that usually starts the "chest butting" game with the others!! [​IMG]

7. newchickenfamily

[​IMG] Wow 9 days? Love the dialouge Chicky Tock!

OK, I guess my guy isn't that abnormal then. I have 2 that are the same age and I've known (or at least suspected) that they were boys for awhile. They were doing lots of chest bumping and flying at each others faces, but the crowing is hysterical! We are keeping them inside the house for now and my husband heard it first thing this morning. [​IMG]

8. newchickenfamily

Quote:haha! Yep, maybe you've got one too! My 2 boys have been doing the chest bumping thing since the very beginning. Bet yours is working on his crow too.

9. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I have never had one start before 5 weeks, but I love hearing their first attempts. [​IMG]

10. jemagsy

jemagsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Georgia
    Of my three, I had them start as early as 3 weeks and as late as 15 weeks and I agree their first attempts are usually quite comical. The one that started at 3 weeks has always sounded a bit wolfish though (more so when he was a few months old) and scared the bejeezus out of us when we moved him out of the brooder and into the coop which is closer to the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by