OMG!!! A train horn made 2 of my EE's lay a shelless egg ???????????

bald k9

Songster
10 Years
Sep 5, 2009
Rural Edwardsville
We are having a bbq right now andabout 20 minutes ago A train went by and honked and my hen squatted and layed a shelless eggs,We laughed at first then I got worried, and just 5 mins ago another train went by and honked and another hen squatted and layed another shelless egg right in front of us, what causes this is this normal , they just started laying about a week and half ago and i have gotten regular eggs til just today what happened ,i feed them layena,the get to free range in the yard have grit clean water everything ,my other birds are fine did they justget startled, they grew up with the train sounds since chicks, there is about ten of us bbq and the EE;s were mingling with the guest any one have this happen?

I know when mine started laying there were several with very thin shells or just membranes. It could just be a coincidence about the train going by. My chickens usually aren't phased very much by sounds, with the exception of the hawk that flies overhead.

Grit and oyster shell are not the same. Grit is indigestible and stays in the crop to help grind up food. Oyster shell is absorbed as calcium to help form eggshells.

Hmm I thought that was what layena was for ,whenthey first started laying last week or so the eggs were fine they layed their eggs this morning and they were fine, but the train was at 2 different times, and out pop a shelless egg each time right in front of us ,because everyone stopped talking til the train passed!

Mabe that was the egg train going by...
lol.png

Ifeed oyster shell 24/7 and still have had a few shelless egg or thin shelled.Looking at pasr posts i read about calcium gluconate. I bought some from foys. I never gave itto them, then theother day an eggbound hen,i never knew that the lack of calcium could cause this, good luck

Back
Top Bottom