OMG!! better than sonogram!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RockyToggRanch, Sep 8, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Okay, I know, you guys have all done it a thousand times. Probably started in grade school. But I have been trying for days to candle my first eggs with a wind up flashlight that my mom gave me. Tonight when my hubby said he wanted to watch football..I said"I'll make a deal with you..Find me a decent flashlight and I won't complain about football (tonight)". He whipped out a mini maglight like he was expecting this challenge.?? Pointed it the ceiling and showed me how it adjusts. So I tried it and..Holy cow! I can actually see inside an egg..And it's moving, like it's own little footbal game. I so wanted to call to him and make him come watch the eggs, but that wasn't in the deal. Most of the ameraucana eggs I ordered look scrambled, I may have two or three that are showing veins. The eggs from my own girls, that went in a few days sooner, are wiggling! [​IMG] I may only have a couple out of 12 that aren't doing anything.

I feel like I just saw my own sonogram! That teeny little creature is there only because I want him/HER there and will only survive if I do my best to get it right!

I marked the shells of those who wiggled and those with veins. I'll be leaving work early tomorrow to try it again and hopefully add wiggler marks! I could do this full time!

How long before I should give up on an egg? I don't want a stinky explosion. Is there any tell tale sign?

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    First of all...CONGRATS!!! [​IMG] I am also waiting for an egg to hatch, and it's wiggling! [​IMG]
    And also, the way to tell if it's not fertile is to wait until like day 10-12 and if still nothing, crack them open and see why they didn't hatch, or if they aren't fertile. if they were fertile, you will see a fairly large circle in the yolk, which means that it WAS fertile, but the chick died. If there is a small circle, then it wasn't fertile. here's a website to help explain:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N
    Good luck and I hope you have a great hatch!!! [​IMG]

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Really excellent, isn't it? I am happy for you! I am on Day 8 of my second hatch ever, and I haven't candled this batch yet. You are making me nervous but excited! CONGRATS! [​IMG]

4. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I am the same as DC - I am on day eight and havent candled yet...but will in about 4 days. I am going to wait until day 12 this time!

Good luck on your hatch!!!

Joni

5. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Oh my gosh! I'm on day 8 too!! That's so cool! I candled the other day and I had one undeveloped and the other had a blood ring. I still have 31 that are viable though! How many do you guys have in the bator and what breed(s)?
    I have (I think) pure Leghorns in mine.

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I know everyone (including me) loves to candle the eggs. But I have found that over the years, that if I don't candle them, I have a little higher hatch rate. Every year I put a bator in a number of class rooms. I tell them not to open the bator, that I will bring them an egg from home for them to see what is going on inside the eggs. I show the teacher how to add water if needed and how to adjust the temp. In doing it this way, the class room hatch rate is well above average. There are no ups and downs in the temp or humidity. If by the end of day 23 the egg hasn't hatched, we open them to see why. Usually some of the children lose their lunch at this time, but they can see if the chick died or was infertile. It is surprising how chicks are lost by candling.

7. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have to open the bator to turn the eggs. I read on another thread that the eggs can be out for 30 minutes, but it's quick look and back in. Is this really bad?

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Brahampooter, you sound just like me, every excited. I did 3 hatchs so far and I agree with panner123. The last hatch I did I used a hose to add water and I have a turner so I didn't need to open the bator and I didn't candle until day 18. I had the best hatch of them all. It's so hard not to candle. I think I did it every other day with my first hatch and had to show them to my grandchildern you know.

Do you have them in egg cartons?

9. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    No, I don't have them in cartons. Should I? The instructions didn't mention cartons. The temp goes down 10 degrees when I turn them, but gets back up to 100 within a minute or two. I won't candle again if someone can tell me that they won't explode. Or how to tell if they might. This is a learning experience, so I guess I'll just go with my gut and hope for the best:)

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    No you don't have to put them in cartons. I read a lot of people do it because it's easier to clean the bator and to turn them. You put a smail piece of wood or something on the one side them move it to the other side this way it's faster and you don't need to handle all the eggs for turning. If you get a bad egg you will smell it. It's really a bad smell. LOL [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by