OMG chicken coop care

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by louie2037, Oct 7, 2012.

1. louie2037

louie2037 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Western, New York
    Went to my brother-in-laws this weekend and thought I'd get some idea's from him about raising chickens, seeing how he's been raising them for many, many (++) years. I've known the guy foe many, many (+) years, but this was the first time I've ever gone up to the barn with him. To say thast I was shocked would be like saying Seal Team 6 "disciplined" Bin Ladan.

His laying chickens are in an outdoor run that is literally an ankle deep mud pit. The inside of their nesting boxes are heaped with feces, and there's not a clean spot anywhere around or within the coop. This area contains 10-12 chickens. He has another area inside the barn where he's penned 20-24 chickens. While it isn't muddy, the guy doesn't shovel the old hay/feces out; he simply adds new hay when the existing piles becomes too sodden. His reasoning is that it provides heat during the winter.

He also has a llama, and several several goats in the barn, which is cleaned ONCE A YEAR, in the spring. The feces/hay is laready 1 1/2 to 2 ft deep in their pens. To me, this is disgusting, unsanitary, and borderline cruety; but I confess, I'm new to this, and I can be a little on the OCD/anal side of things at time. So, tell me, at what point do you say; time to clean?

Thanks for the "vent", Louie

2. lucy7

lucy7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    ours gets cleaned about ounce a month if that helps? and yeah that's a little disgusting probably time to clean

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I know some practice a deep litter method with poultry but that doesn't sound quite right and i have not heard of doing that with other types of livestock.

For what i do? lol.. everyday their coop and pen but i only have 4 so it takes little time at all to do this, although honestly i do the same for my ducks and my horses [​IMG]

4. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    that does sound VERY unsanitary:( I would have thrown a fit actually:)

I scoop poop boards every single day, I go around the outside run with a pooper scooper and pick up 'whatever', DAILY...I clean the coop out once a month, throw the old hay (I use lucerne ground cover for bottom of coop) off into their run, and always check nesting boxes..

Maybe I'm OCD, but I just don't like seeing animals live in filth:( I think having poop boards cuts down on poop on the floor of the coop 100%!

5. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    That does sound fairly filthy!! [​IMG]
    I know that everyone cleans/keeps coops and runs differently, but what you described sounds terrible....
    Personally, I scoop the run, coop, and lawn every day (2 to 3 times). I don't want to smell nor step in chicken poo. I do not want my chickens to walk around in it, either. I want the chickens to enjoy scratching about the lawn - and, I want my family to enjoy the lawn. Feeders and waterers are cleaned, daily, as well. -want to keep them healthy!

6. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    I scoop my poop trays daily. I use a form of deep litter on the floor of the coop which I clean before winter, in the spring, and in the summer. Since most of the poop is generated while they are roosting at night...the poop trays catch most of it.

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We clean our chicken coop and nesting boxes weekly. The run daily and the yard gets hosed down after the chickens free range.

8. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    Leaving the Poop in the Litter is a well-known Method and is indorsed by many People, including me [​IMG][​IMG]. HOWEVER, a muddy Run sounds Disgusting. Poop on Roosts could burn them when roosting, and Poop on other Things is not composting, unless it is on Wood, and then is composting the Wood-work.

I cannot say, about the LLaMMa Penn, tho.

9. Aliconway

Aliconway Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    I have a question....I clean out my coop weekly, in between add bedding as needed. This time when I removes the bedding, there were tiny flea-like bugs underneath. Are these mites? lice? poultry fleas? I have read a lot but need help. I don't see any infestation on the feathers and what I read was check them at night so they are easier to handle and nothing was crawling on the white ones that I could see with the flashlight. What do you treat your coops with?

10. tamaraly81

tamaraly81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    United States

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by