OMG! Chickens and CAT FOOD!!! LOL

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamahen2011, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mamahen2011

mamahen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    I think I read somewhere on here that someone used canned cat food as a chicken treat before ... well, tonight I gave it a go after feeding our cats. Had a little bit left in the can and thought I'd see what the girls would think of it. HOLY CRAP!!! They LOVED it! They literally were pushing each other out of the way to get at it! I haven't seen them go for something like that, not even their mealworm treats. I was going to try to video it but the camera was out of batteries. [​IMG] I'll try to remember next time. LOL

Anyone else treat their chickens to canned cat food???

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I may have intentionally overfed my dog that led to a big treat for the girls. They LOVE dog/cat food! [​IMG]

3. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    I haven't done canned cat food, but boy do my chickens love our cats dry food. I have to keep it locked up because they will peck right through the bag. I was going through a 40 lb bag of cat food a week until I realized it was the chickens! They just LOVE iT.

4. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I think that cat food is on the list of things you should'nt feed chickens.

5. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

I give my chicks the tablespoon or so left over from my two cats. I believe it is on the list of no no's but they do love it and I figure such a small amount is not going to kill them.

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    it's good if you need a protien boost for them- it saved my mixed roo's life when he had a protien deficiency and temporarily had such weakend muscles he couldn't walk or really even move. it's something they should not have often, or at all if it contains poultry by-products. high-quality cat food only. if you want a similarly textured (and cheaper!) treat, they LOVE cream cheese!

7. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    why is it a no no? My chickens love canned cat food as well as dry and in the winter I give it to them as it is so cold where I live I figure an extra boost is good for them

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    because chickens eat mainly plants and insects, too much of the rich meats in cat food can give them some digestive issues. as it is, they're poop smells worse than normal after they eat it [​IMG]

cracked corn, cooked oatmeal or scratch feed is a good winter boost, too.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by