OMG!!!!!!!!Day 19 and the power went off for 4 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jacyjones, May 13, 2009.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I think all has gone well so far and then - poof!! out goes the light!! Hot water bottles, blanket and a duvet used to keep in the warmth!! I think we coped but there was a time when the temp went a bit high cos we were so worried about keeping them warm!! I just hope they can pull through this and that at least some will hatch. This is SO stressful!!

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Unless your house got real cold I'd have just left it alone. If you don't open the bator and it's not the middle of winter with your house temp dropping it will take hours to get down below 90F. Eggs will still incubate to 96F and many have had them survive being in the 80s for an hour or so. Temps over 102 will kill within hours to minutes but low temps are not as dangerous. So long as you didn't push it over 104 they should hatch normally.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I just had that happen at day 21. Prayers from here. I got 6 out of the ten to survive. So here's hoping. [​IMG]

4. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    We had lights out for 12 hours on day 16-17 of our last hatch. They ALL hatched just fine with no developmental defects at all. We just left the bator alone. The temp got down to 76 degrees during that time.

Hoping for the best!!! Good luck!!!

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Thanks! I hope we did not do the wrong thing by trying to keep the temp up. We will just have to wait and see. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by