OMG! Does this mean it actually still has a chance?????UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jun 23, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Some of you probably saw my message that I dropped my new thermometer into my incubator by accident, and yes it of course landed right on one of my eggs (day 11) [​IMG] . I panicked and didn't know what to do so my husband says to just wax it, what else was there to do. I was feeling horrible [​IMG] . It was a pretty good dent and crack and a little bit of blood. I covered every part of the dent and crack and put it back in the bator. I candled last night and was surprised to see it moving 5 hrs later. I just candled it again 29 hrs AC(after crack) and not only is it still alive, it has grown. Does anyone know if this really has a chance or if I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Krista

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    well, there's that old saying, "where there's life; there's hope".

So, you still have life there, so keep on hoping & so will all of us for you--[​IMG]

I'm trying my 2nd hatching-0 on the first, but I've read & read the posts here & listened & I think I've learned & know where I went wrong the 1st time; & if all goes well--well, we'll see in a couple of weeks--

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    OH THAT IS SO AWESOME!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Keeping your little one in my thoughts until hatch time [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Oh, not sure if it makes a big difference, we are on day 12, so 9 days of crossing everything [​IMG]
    Krista

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    The shell may have cracked, but hopefully the membrane is still intact. Good luck

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had an accident with mine and cracked the shell. I waxed it and 3 days later it's still going. It was a pretty good crack too. [​IMG]

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Farmer Kitty
    What day are you on with yours?
    Krista

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I'm sooooo wishing you the best. I did exactly the same thing...dropped the thermometer on one and cracked the shell only in the aircell area...but it was a pretty good sized crack. I did wax it and for a while it lived and seemed to be fine. But at day 21, the movement was gone. At day 23, I opened it and it seemed small. I think perhaps it couldn't hold enough heat to grow correctly. I also had swings in temp, so that might have affected it as well.

I do wish you the very best...keep us posted!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I have used elmers glue before with luck.

10. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I had one get cracked when my broody got up, it bleed a bit but the blood seemed to seal the crack so I left it alone..... it hatched happy and healthy. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by