OMG! Don't look the gift horse in the mouth. Update post #23

jhill1440

Songster
13 Years
Feb 7, 2008
Central Texas
So here's the deal. I got an email from a friend that knows we "do" chickens. The email is a forward from another friend that says she has 50 6 week old and 20 or so 4 week old broilers that she wants to give away. Yes, GIVE away as in FREE. I got ahold of her and said my momma told me if looks to good to be true it probably is, why are they free? They were her kids 4H project, they have the 4 or so they are going to show and they don't need the rest. Jaw drops to floor at that point.

We have talked about doing a run of meat birds but never really went anywhere with it. But now I have to get a shelter ready by Sunday. I know what I'm doing on Saturday.

Only need to get them 2-3 weeks and then butcher time. Hope this works out. I'll update as things progress.

peace
josh

Last edited:
Wow!!!!
thumbsup.gif
You'll be busy but it'll be worth it! Nothing better than free meat!!!

Very cool!

BTW, if it were me, I'd probably give the lady at least $20, just as a thank you. Besides, it will make her remember you and never know if she'll pass your name on to someone else!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all go for Sunday pick up. Now the question is do I just get 50 or do I take all she has? Total would be about 75 with majority being 6 weeks old and the rest 4 weeks old. I sorta feel bad to just take all she has but she wants to get rid of them and if no one else has requested any.....

Anywhoo, off to build a shelter Saturday. Anyone have recommendations for a good temporary shelter. I am not sure of coons and such, we have hens that have been in a chicken wire tractor for over a year and have not once seen or heard anything trying to get at them. The shelter would be closed at night and open during the day to try and get them to move some. Feed outside and water inside. So many things to get ready.

I will post pics as soon as I can.

peace
josh

how would be the best way to move all those birds?...you cant have that many cat carriers hanging around...lol

Josh-
It sounds like she needs them gone, so don't feel greedy taking them all. I'd give her more than a couple broilers though if I took them all!
woot.gif

ep.gif

Wow! That's nearly unbelieveable. Take them all! They are nearly finished! Just make sure you have plenty of room to transport - I'm sure you know what you are doing but these meat birds are birdbrains and they allow themselves to be smothered in small spaces.

Congratulations - that's a seriously good deal!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom