OMG----DUCKLING BORN WITH NO EYES!!! CAN IT LIVE?? UPDATED PICS

bugladyleah

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
PA
Hey all...this poor little guy! We had a horrible hatch, temps are screwed up on my bator (just bought yet ANOTHER thermometer online today...the Brinsea). Anyway, had to cull one baby due to messed up leg and then this one hatched (I had to help it) and it has NO EYEBALLS! No slits, no lids, no holes, NOTHING. Just a concave area on it's skull where the eyeballs should be covered in down. I was thinking it wasn't going to make it, but lo and behold this morning it was all the way out and trying to walk around in the hatcher. I know that I should probably cull it, but it is such a fighter, I am feeling bad! Ugh...any suggestions? If it is with other ducks, think it will be able to eat, etc?? Obviously it would be an easy pick for predators, but I am hoping to find someone with a soft heart that wants to care for it.

Lemme know what you guys think!

Leah

Last edited:
Someone got a hatchery duck just like it. It did ok for a few weeks but eventually passed away. Apparently it found food and water by listening to the other ducks.

Is its head shaped funny? If so, I would lean towards cull. If it is JUST blind and doesn't appear to be in pain (and you feel up to it) you might want to give it a chance.

I would not cull the little guy. I bet he adapts and has a great quality of life. In the wild he may be a easy meal for some predator, but I bet he will be your favorite duck if you give him the chance at life.

I went down to check on it and it's head appears to be smaller than the other ducks, but that may just be because it is missing the eyes. I will try to take some pics (have to get my hubby's camera). I probably will just let it alone and see what happens. I think if it were with at least one other duck it could possibly get by. I dunno...I'll keep you posted.

Leah

If I lived closer I would take it as a buddy for my new nostril-less duckie. lol

It is up to you to decide what to do with the little one. People keep blind dogs and cats often, and they give them lots of supportive care. If she is not in pain, and you have the time to make sure she is doing ok, I would let her live.
smile.png

hit.gif
Poor little thing, I would give it a chance. Since he never has had sight, he will be able to compensate in other ways, and the other ducks will take care of him too. . .would love to see a picture portfolio of this unfolding as the days and weeks go by.

Back
Top Bottom