OMG! Dumbest mistake EVER!!! D:

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by magicpigeon, Feb 13, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I bought what I thought was a speckled sussex about 6 weeks ago. It's only now, after about 5 people telling me, "that doesn't look like a sussex", and believing it was just hatchery quality, to realise what I indeed bought was SEX-LINK!! GAAAH! And, just to rub it in, I picked a MALE. [​IMG]
    This did not occur to me at the time as there are literally ZILCH speckled sussex breeders in all of NSW and I was really excited. After driving about 3 hours, and finally picking up only one, I actually only distantly noticed half were of a lighter shade than the other. I chose the largest one with the smallest comb. Now it is obviously a HE. He has a ginormous comb, thick legs and the beginnings of spurs. And I'm guessing, since he is a sex link, I will not be able to cross him with my light sussex pullet. I am telling myself to never buy from this breeder again, though the last time I was there, i saw some lovely plymouth rocks [​IMG] BUT I WILL RESIST!!! [​IMG] I DON'T WANT MORE SEXLINKS!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Cute...you should enter the second pic to be the weekly pic for byc. I don't know how you do it though.

3. Hanaruru

Hanaruru Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Puget Sound Area
    seems like the people you bought from should have told you what breed you were getting. disappointing [​IMG]

4. Colie <3

Colie <3 Collecting my Cuties

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    He's cute though! Why on earth didn't the breeder clue you in? Were they scamming or what?

[​IMG] <--- this would be me if I were you and I saw them again lol

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Nice looking bird. He's clean and well cared for.

6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    If that's the dumbest mistake you've ever made, you're doing well. [​IMG] He's a handsome chick and looks healthy and happy.

Did the breeder tell you it was a SS? I would be disappointed in that case, too. Otherwise, think of him as a great learning experience. And, if it helps, I've done far worse in misidentifying chicks, too. (Like for example the blue/black/splash cochins I thought I got - they are nice mottled cochins- if I wanted a pack of roos! *sigh*
    We live and learn.

7. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    At least its not a meat bird from tractor supply!! [​IMG]

He's adorable though!! [​IMG]

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    If it is a sex link then the sellers should have known. I would take the little guy. Ever since my teen roo died in August 2010 all I can think of is getting another roo for my 7-8 hen(one is very sick).

9. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Awwww he's so cute! He'll be beautiful when he's older.

10. Colie <3

Colie <3 Collecting my Cuties

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:I Agree! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by