1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG First time ordering eggs ever.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sasimpson77, Jan 11, 2014.

1. sasimpson77

sasimpson77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    I ordered some eggs off ebay and they were shipped on Thurs. and are still showing up as being in OK. where they were shipped from how Accurate is USPS tracking? I am in IL. and thinking they may end up sitting somewhere all day Sun. grrr.

2. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    I have found it not exact, as weather and other delays will affect the shipping. I always ask to have shipped by no later than Wednesday to avoid having items left over the weekend.

3. sasimpson77

Dec 28, 2013
    Yeah this is quite the learning curve It was supposed to be two day shipping grrr. not sure what the hold up is in OK. Could it be further along in the journey and just not showing?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's pretty accurate. I had some heat elements for the brooder in the mail that I needed a few days ago. At 2 O'clock this morning the last update was when they left Compton CA at 3:30 am on the 9th. Checked back at 4 am and the package had arrived at my PO. It is now out for delivery.
    They usually use another company so while the package is in the hands of that company there is no update. As soon as the USPS gets their hands on it, it goes into the system.
    I'm sure my package didn't go directly from Compton CA to the Florissant MO post office so the 3rd party shipper didn't or doesn't have the ability to update progress on the way.

If it isn't reporting that they're at your PO or out for delivery by now, you're probably right and you won't see them till Monday.
    At least they're sitting somewhere and not bouncing around. Have faith.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    I have eggs that are suppose to be here today, but they will be sitting til Monday. Its nerve racking. Wanted to start them on the weekend.

Jan/Feb Hatch-a-long

6. sasimpson77

Dec 28, 2013
    I so wanted to start them tomorrow so the kids and I could be home when they hatched :(

7. JDchicks

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    I agree, I like to be there. While I am working, I send my mother over to my house to give me updates. I worry so.

8. sasimpson77

Dec 28, 2013
    Our Rhodebar eggs arrived today while I was at work, Kids being kids and trying to be helpful immediately put them in the bator grrrr!!!!! they had not got very warm yet as the bator was only showing 70 I pulled them out immediately set them in a carton and left them to settle for 12 hours do you think I will have issues?

9. JDchicks

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Normally for shipped eggs, its a good idea to let them sit for 12-24 before putting in the incubator. Let them get to room temperature. If they got cold during the trip, going from cold to hot could cause condensation in the egg.

If you can candle the eggs. See if the air sac is detached. If the air sac moves around, it has detached. You will still leave them for the 12-24hrs, But once you put them in the incubator you may want to wait about 2 days without turning to let the air sacs settle.

I just got my first set of shipped eggs with detached air sacs, so this is a test for me.

This link (towards the bottom) has a section on shipped eggs https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

10. sasimpson77

Dec 28, 2013
    Yes I do think the air sacks are detached so I will put them in my bator tomorrow and turn the turner off. Thanks for the helpful advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by