omg free chickens I just brought home and more

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nightshade, Apr 22, 2008.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got home from picking up some free chickens that are in the local paper. Some are white leghorns and they have to be the nicest looking leghorns I have ever seen. They are huge! Then there was a gorgous barred rock that was also huge and I mean huge. As well as some really nice RIRS. all free and they are young will be a year old in may. Then we get to talking to the nice fokes and find out they have dairy nubians.

Hubby and I have been talking about getting a milking goat. So we went to the annual amish sale this past weekend and bought a very sweet no ears. Good price too. We have been drinking the milk ever since and I am telling you I love it. IT I sware is the best cho milk I have ever had. Even our 5yr old likes it, who likes nothing new. Then on the way home from the sale my car took a crap. So typical I am sure, and also very our luck. So I ended up having to delay my hatching eggs I was getting from pidgy this week [​IMG] I want them so bad they are such a pretty mix, and I just adore my golden phoniex roo and hamburg hens. I was really really looking forward to having a few more of the hamburg type pattern running around.

Anyways tonight, before I get side tracked anymore. So we pick up the free chickens that are so much nicer birds then I ever could have expected and young too. And we find out they have milking goats. Breed them, raise them, milk them sell them, the whole nine yards. So we start talking about that. Then we go in the barn to see them..( you all know where this is going) And standing there are a mess of spotted nubians. Just the most colorfull and beautiful goats with these big floppy ears like you see on a hound dog. And just what I had been wanting and could not find so hubby bought the no ears. So we talk alittle more and I couldnt help it I had to ask if they were planing to sell any. They said yes! So we made arrangments to pick one out and get it when they were ready to part with some in mid May. I was amazed that they didn't even want a deposit.

Just good old fashioned take your word and swap phone numbers. There is not many people like that around anymore and just so nice. The no ears ( which is not the actual breed name that I can not remember at the moment) or Honey as we named her cause of her color is our first milking goat. SO of corse we are learning. These fokes even took the time even though it was late to explain things to us, like how long she will be before she drys up, when to breed her, all kinds of things. Like I said very very nice fokes.

I can't wait. I will have my hatching eggs from pidgy by then in the bator and possibly a 1 1/2 yr old beautiful spotted nubian nanny both for mothers day. How wonderfull will that be [​IMG]

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Yay!!! But, where are the pics of your freebies??? Shame on you, teasing me that way. [​IMG]

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Congrats. on the free chickens and the nubian nanny. I am going to check my local paper.........lol [​IMG]

Dorothy

4. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    No such luck. All they had was a 5mo. all white, blue eyed quarter horse for $400. I cannot have a horse. I imagine that it is pretty, but no horses for me.

5. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    Nightshade,
    Congrats on the free chickens and the score on the goat.

Could you also post a pic of your Gold Phoenix Roo? I have what I thought was a Gold Phoenix Roo and now I am thinking it is something else. I just want to compare them. I'm thinking mine is a black breasted cubaiara. (however it is spelled)

Thanks

Jayare

6. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    no ears is a La Mancha;) it's good (and rare) to find good people!

7. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Congrats on the newbies [​IMG]

8. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Nightshade you need to put yourself in the corner and do a timeout for not posting pics!

[​IMG]

9. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Yes, I want to see a pic of the chickens and no ears! Congrats on the chickens and the future goat!

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    PICS! We need PICS!!! [​IMG] Congrats on your new chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by