OMG guess what I found!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AHappychick, Feb 19, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok some how even though I marked all of my show girl eggs with an sg I somehow missed one and did not put it from my bator (rcom 20) to my hatcher (1588) so all day I have had chicks hatching in the hatcher and not needing to check the bator regulary had not gone up there (guest room bathroom lol) since i added water yesterday.

Well I went upstairs to prep my new eggs that arrived and somehow I missed and SG egg and looked into the bator and saw a fuzzy butt!!!!!!!! I cant believe it, the turner was on and everything!!! and humidity at 50 %

that makes 9 chicks out of 13 eggs and one more is hatching in the bator now.

Cant believe it simply amazing!

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    LOL great surprise!!

3. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    These are the surprises that make us smile.

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    its the cutest little thing too, I feel bad cause my last chick is still zipping so I had rto turn off the turner in the bator and just leave it (after snuggling it of course) until I can get its friends out of the hatcher and put them all in the brooder. So right now it is all alone, but not for much longer.

5. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    wait, a bator, hatcher and brooder? how many steps are there to this process??? I'm not sure I can afford all this equipment [​IMG]

6. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    What a great surprise!

7. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    wait, a bator, hatcher and brooder? how many steps are there to this process??? I'm not sure I can afford all this equipment

Don't worry it's not as expensive as it sounds. You don't have to have a seperate hatcher unless you're doing split hatches. As far as a brooder it can be anything from a rubbermaid tub to a homemade wooden box.​

8. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    That happened to me too, was busy with the rest of the eggs and all the while one in the bator had hatched with the turner going... One of my EE chicks. Got 19 out of 22 to hatch, but sadly 3 had died over night.

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Don't worry it's not as expensive as it sounds. You don't have to have a seperate hatcher unless you're doing split hatches. As far as a brooder it can be anything from a rubbermaid tub to a homemade wooden box.

I started with the cheapest LG i could find and that worked for me but not as well as my new ones.

I got the "bator" as a x-mas gift and choose to use the first one (LG) as the hatcher. In other words on the 18th day I would move the eggs from the incubator with turner (#2) and put them in the "hatcher" incubator to finish out the three days undisturbed and at a higher humidity. But again with my LG as the hatcher my hatch was really bad. So I sold a few things on e-bay and bought myself the 1588 Genisis with out turner to use as my hatcher. I learned that having 2 incubators alows me to have eggs going all the time lol and and whenever they get delivered. Its an addiction [​IMG] lol

as for the brooder mine are just old plastic bins with metal oven grates on top and a heat lamp, the most expensive thing about it is the lamp. [​IMG]

10. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I have almost a 100% hatch rate most of the time and only use a still-air incubator. Cost me $40. Pain though; you have to remember to turn the eggs (the bator directions say 2-3 times per day but I only turn 2). There have been a couple of days I have had to go out of town and only got to turn them once that day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by