OMG, had to share!! TINY EGG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Went to check the ladies and found this near the coop door! I think we are a few mm off from a world record!

Normal Egg Today's Egg Quarter
    [​IMG]

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Haha..thats great. Yeah, one of my barred rocks laid a small egg like that a little bit ago.....which is funny because she was the some bird that laid a large double-yolker for me before that.

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Maybe compensating in your case then? :lol: I don't know what Sunny's deal is with this little thing. She is molting but she was also doing battle, so to speak, with Scrambles earlier for the prime nest box. Then I find THIS by the door on the opposite side of the coop. Silly girl... :rolleyes:

4. sezjasper

sezjasper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Oh isn't that just the cutest thing LOL

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Are there any uses for an egg this tiny? Crafts or something?

6. lilhippiemomma

lilhippiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    As long as it's not a bantam egg it might be a cute little accident of nature. I've heard them called wind eggs, fart eggs (my personal favorite), and rooster or cock eggs (under the assumption that they were laid by roosters). They don't have any yolk. My girls laid one a few months ago and I put it in a carton with the regular eggs just for a laugh and to take pics later. Then that carton accidently was given away to someone, I don't know who. I wonder what they thought when they opened the carton and saw that teeny little egg!

7. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

I once saw little egg votives made from blue egg halves (yours would be too tiny, perhaps). You can try blowing the center out and keeping the shell. Hot-glue a little loop of ribbon to the top to hang.

8. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    LOL, I had one like that too a while back...it was about a quarter size of their usual...I almost missed it! Wasn't a new layer either...we cracked it...had no yolk but the shell was perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by