OMG!! Hatching a week early!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by arllcountrygirl, Jan 4, 2009.

1. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

I hatched out some call eggs yesterday and when I had put them in I had also put in some Muscovy eggs. Well it takes 35 days on them. Which means they don't come out until Friday. Well my DD has been gather eggs from our EE roo and Frizzle hens and wanted to see what the babies would look like. So I was putting them in the bator when I seen a duck beak. [​IMG] I only have 3 muscovy eggs and one had the beak broken thru and the other was a bump, but you can feel baby moving. The one with the beak was dead for sure. [​IMG] Well with me handling the three eggs and moving to the other bator to hatch out, the beak started gasping for air. I blew on it some and it seemed to come alive. [​IMG]
    Hopefully they will be ok. I don't understand why they are hatching so early for. My bator runs the same all the time, it is a GQF bator. Any ideas????

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I thought ducks were all 28 days [​IMG]
    Hope it works out. Mine come early when the bator ran hot...
    Good luck!
    Christina

3. arllcountrygirl

Muscovy ducks are the only ones that go 35, all others are 28 days

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:AHHH I C thanks! Good Luck!
    Christina

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Are they pure muscovy, or could they be mixed? If they are mixed, they might not go the full 28 days.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:All others, except for calls, they only take 24 days [​IMG]

7. arllcountrygirl

No they are full muscovy, the one has finally popped out of the shell, looks like it is doing ok. [​IMG]

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

my sportsman only runs a day ahead of time,, if the temp is set on it,, the bator shouldnt be a big deal.

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That is odd. Is it a full week early? Your temps couldn't have been that off! Did you get them from your own ducks? Maybe they were sneaky and had been brooding them a bit?

10. arllcountrygirl

Yea, but these weren't suppose to hatch for another week and the bator they were in was still turning them and the works.
    All well, I am just glad that I caught them in time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by