OMG HELP MAGGOTS!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justino, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    are maggots bad to have in the coop where they sleep? the maggots are under a T shirst i put in there and the hens sleep on it :eek:

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    eeewww!!! Maggots are terrible!! And if they are there now, if a chick should get injured they will be on them in a heartbeat. And you don't want to have to pick them off one by one like I had to when my girls got hurt. I'd rid the chicks of them straight away. Get some straw or something for them to sleep on.

3. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    then how do i do it!?!?!?OMG im scared for my chickens! and me for having to do it
    [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Let the chickens eat most of them, then clean the coop to be rid of them.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's strange that they are there in the first place. I'd be inclined to get rid of them and put fresh bedding down. Check your birds to make sure there isn't a wound somewhere, thus explaining why the maggots might be in the neighborhood.
    JJ

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  6. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:R u sure!?!?is this true everyone?
    [​IMG]

7. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Absolutely! Maggots are nothing more than fly larvae and chickens love em! I occasionally will go to the pet store and buy an container of meal worms as a special treat but learned early not to feed by hand, they tore me up trying to get to them!

8. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    so i should let them eat them? but i thought maggots are parasites!lets have a vote: should i let them eat them? ten votes and at end, whichever has more, ill do [​IMG]

9. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    1 vote for letting them chow down![​IMG]

10. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    My grandma used to always warn me of not letting maggots near my chickens, and not allow me to let them eat them.

But, unfortunately, she passed away in 2006, so I can't ask her why not.

I just know she stressed how bad it was...but I don't know if she meant because wounds could get infected or if consumption could hurt them.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by