omg, help me. My silkie has hoarded the ducks eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BellLisamo, Feb 18, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Ok so heres the story. I thought my silkie excaped the coop, nope. Come to find out shes a broody and has hatched 2 chicks already. She has 4 left of her own to hatch and 2 ducks eggs. I'm worried she'll give up before the duck eggs are hatched. Can i make a homemade incubator so i can hatch them? I DONT want to take the chicks away. She loves them too much. Look...
    [​IMG]

SOOOO what can i do? I have a heat lamp thats 280watt. Can i put them in a shoe box, and line it with a down feather blanket and cover it? I assume they dont need turned, as i'm guessing its day 22, with the little chickies. Any ideas? I KNOW i need to candle the eggs. I will do that tonight to see where things are.
    HELP ME SAVE MY DUCKLINGS! I KNOW the eggs are fertile. My drake proved to me one day

2. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    OK, wat I want u 2 do is candle em with a flashlight and see how far along they are, using a candling chart. Then, if u want, u can put them in the bator to be safe. Us a spong soaked with water, and a thermometer, and make sure it is 99.5 degrees. turn 3 times a day until they are 3 days away from hatching.

Best of luck, fresh Eggs

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:i dont have an incubator =O(

i will candle all the eggs tonight to see how things are progressing with the other eggs.

any tips on making an incubator really fast if they babys are very close to hatching?

4. Fresh Eggs

Jan 1, 2009
    a cardboard box, the light, a thermometer, a pan and or a spondge of water, and paper towels. tep= 99.5, and if they are hatching " very dark egg, only air cell" put a spondge of water and a pan of water so they can hatch! pm if u need help!

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I wont remove them until i see her leave her nest with her chicks. Or ducklings ahaha.
    I'm gonna let her do her job, but if its not done within 2 days ill HAVE to take her hatched chicks because they need to drink and eat.

6. Fresh Eggs

Jan 1, 2009
    GOOD THINKING!!! It is best if u do remove the chicks and put them in a brooder until she is done hatching the duckies! Then u can put them together!!

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    did u candle yet?

8. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:ok i did candle the eggs and most of them are at the point of hatching. i didnt take pics, i will tonight if i get a minute. i gave her eggs back and she sat right on them, i also saw her eating scratch, and i saw her baby chick get out and eat some stuff off the ground (they do have chick feed in there). SOOOOO
    i am going to keep an eye on her. if she leaves her nest, i will take the eggs and put them in an incubator.
    ONE EGG PEEPED AT ME!

any other suggestions?

9. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    I bet she will stay with them till they hatch [​IMG]

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You are going to be way better off letting her hatch them if she will. The odds are you will not succeed with the box idea. It's not going to be stable enough nor hold enough humidity.
    Good luck to you [​IMG] I hope they all hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by