OMG HUGE NEWS!!! lots of questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Justino, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    my mom said if i get rid of sunny all on my own, that i can get some more chicks!!!!!OMG THIS IS GREAT!!!!

any ideas on what i could get?im thinken Bearded D'uncle(or whatever theyre called lol) but lol where can i find those?

ill prolly end up just goin to the feed store and getting me some ? breed like i usually do [​IMG]

also, i have 3 11 week old silkies and would they get along with some new lil peepers around?
    im thinkin maybe 3 more chicks?

i already have 1RIR 1 Ausie 1 BR 1 EE and 3 silkies and soon to have 3 more.....how big should my coop be for them? i will let them free range for 3 hours a day on school days and all day on non school days....im tryin to plan for when theyre all grown so i dont overcrowd them....

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Who/What is sunny? Just curious. That's great that you will be able to get more! You can never have enough!!

-Kim

3. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:lol sunny was my test egg baby leghorn/RIR mix...he turned mean and hes is gone!!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    which is good and bad.... [​IMG]

so, any breeds super good?

4. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    also, how many are good before they get overcrowded?

5. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:That depends on how much space you have available for them. Post the dimensions of your coop and the yard. So we know how much space you have to work with.

What are you looking for in a breed? Eggs? Meat? Bantams? Looks? Temperment?

-Kim

Edited to remove: Free-ranging question, I re-read original post and answer my question.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  6. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Just a thought for you ....

Three bantams are about eqaul to one standard...

How's your math? [​IMG]

7. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:That depends on how much space you have available for them. Post the dimensions of your coop and the yard and whether they will free-range or not.

What are you looking for in a breed? Eggs? Meat? Bantams? Looks? Temperament?

-Kim

i think i would like a pretty one that is an Ok layer and is friendly....i think ill for sure get 1 or 2 Americana's....bearded of course(i want these new ones to all have beards lol they look awesome!)
    ill post dimensions tomorrow ok? by dimensions do u mean like height, width, length, and my yard is like 1/4 an acre but they have the whole back yard to free range whenever I'm home which is at least 2 hours a day at minimum...

what about cochins? are they nice and good layers? they sound good too....

8. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Cochins. Both bantam and standard. The only issue that I know of with them is fertility is low unless you shave their bottoms, but this is only an issue if you want to breed them. Cochins, I've heard have wonderful temperments. I haven't owned any myself, so I can't give a first hand account. I know that the shows I've attended that there were a TON of cochins and they were all laying in their cages nice and calm. (Like a big pile of loose feathers, it almost looked as though they weren't birds at all when they layed down)

Yes dementions are height, width, and length of the coop and then the run. The run is the fenced part of the coop, where they can be outside when they are not free-ranging. If you don't have a run part of the coop don't worry about it.

-Kim

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  9. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:ok! i thjink ill get EEs and Cochins!!if they have any bearded D'uncles, i think ill get 1...maybe...

OK! i measured my coop and its 7 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 6&1/2 feet tall [​IMG]

10. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    so how many chickens can it hold? just say standards because 3 bantys count as 1 satndard right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by