1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG I almost killed my chickens today.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Crippledturkey, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    If ya hear them tell it that is. At about 3:15 today i was walking around run piddling around and this wave of chickens and turkeys come at me, they are pushing each other into the fence, and squaking and just following me around as a mass wave of feathers, kinda creeping me out. So they are clucking loudly, the tom is gobbling at me. So at about 330 they are getting incensed and more rabbid, they have food, I tell em daddy loves em, they r pretty, then it dawns on me, For ever I have been refilling their two feeders at before 4pm daily for months. I forgot they do not know about daylight savings [​IMG]. I think they forgave me, 3 squated so doubt they will be calling the SPCA anytime soon. Chickens do love their structure, and god forbid ya break it lol.

2. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Shame on you. They deserve treats. [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    That is funny! Mine all decided to fly up on the rail outside of my back door. They were just peering in the window to see why they were being neglected. [​IMG]

4. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    I gave them some extra scratch. Their troughs can be half full but if ya aren't there right when they want ya to be..... [​IMG] Someone once posted how do ya know your chickens love ya, they miss ya would be my new anser.

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I normally put mine back in the coop/run at 3pm, well before the sun goes down and the nocturnals come out. I let them stay out until 3:45 new time today so there wouldn't be a mutiny!

6. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG] That would freak me out too! Totally didn't think about the daylight savings today! (I wonder if that's why it was hug your chicken day??) No wonder they were all giving me the "stink eye"....

7. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    That's funny! [​IMG]

My flock follow me around any time I'm outside tho'. If they're not close by when I step out the door, there's a stampede towards me the second one gal sees me and lets the others know by an excited cluck.

8. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are really mad at me because I ran out of feed and the feed store was closed. Of course, they got a huge amount of sunflower seeds, scratch, soaked alfalfa pellets, the tops of three pounds of strawberries but everyone still thinks they're starving. They may call the SPCA on me. The Cornish X aren't smart enough but if they can talk the Banties into it I'm in trouble![​IMG]

9. Gingerlilypad

Gingerlilypad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    My babies love me. I use an electric scooter and when I get on it and head out in the yard, they follow me, even if it not feeding time. One of my bantie roosters even gets on the basket for a ride. Now at feeding time, I honk the little horn and they all go really nuts, flapping and talking at the same time.
    When my sister had surgery and I had to go stay with her for two weeks, my chickens didn't want to accept the feed from my husband. I told him to use the scooter and honk the horn. Problem solved.
    Humm, maybe it is my scooter they love and not me.

10. Atrayu

Atrayu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    Thanks for posting this.
    I didn't know how I and my girls were going to handle the time change especially because it would affect my ability to make it home from work before darkness (It happens at 5PM here in South Dakota).
    I usually get off work at 4:30 PM and make it home at 5:15PM so this was not going to work out for them and me.
    I got permission today to adjust my work schedule so I can leave home right after the sunrises (when I let the hens out to free range which is about 6:15AM now) and to leave work at 3:30PM which allows me to get home to give them supper, collect eggs and tuck them in for night.

I am looking into getting an automatic coop door opener/closer too for when it daylight is even less next month.

Before this year, I never thought I would have to adjust my work or social life around to accommodate a bunch of birds LOL! But, I love raising these little gals!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by