OMG! I am eggspecting! 'Broody Mommas log'

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fishnet1971, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Day 1
    wow, I feel like an expecting mother!!! well, not really sure of that, i dont have any 'real' children.

My hen Angel has been broody seems like forever. I have been trying to break her... no such luck.
    Many of you have seen my MONSTER egg.
    DH and I decided to let my broody momma have a few eggs from the hen that left me that HUGE record breaking egg.
    I have never hatched chicks.... always bought them already hatched. I am nervous, I am giddy, I am soooo excited! Not sure what to do.
    but I can learn. I know, It's up to Angel....
    but OMG, OMG WHO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! here we go. Any advise is greatly appreciated for a first timer.....
    I am getting sweaty just thinking about it. [​IMG]

2. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    That's so cool! You will have to post pics when they hatch. [​IMG] My advise? Just make sure she's fed, watered, and safe. She'll take care of the rest. [​IMG]

3. i have alittle cup of water in with her, and a little container of food as well. She looks so darn cute!!!!!!! her eyes are like in a trance........ awwwwww my broody momma!!!!!!!

4. day 2!~
    she now has 2 eggs under her. she is letting me keep a little styrofoam cup of water in with her and a little food dish. she has taken all the shavings in the nest boxmajal and piled them around her. She looks like she is in a trance!!!!! awwww that's my girl.

5. Silkie<3

Silkie<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    Too cute!

6. day 5, ok, i am a softee.. She has three eggs. Two of my huge egg layer, and one of her own. I took her off the nest and put her outside to get some grass and fresh air. She sat there like she was in a trance for a few minutes, then took off like a bat out of he(*. She chased all the other hens around, scratched at concrete, ate my geraniums, ran at my roo, drank lots of water, then jumped back into her nest. she was down a total of about 10 minutes.

here she is this am. She looks posessed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. day 7.

Angel does not seem to get out of the nest unless I take her out in the late afternoon. She is not eating or drinking much. i am concerned with her weight loss. I have gotten her to eat McDonalds cheeseburgers. She loves the cheese. eats only some of the burger. when i put her down now she goes to the dust box and has a good time. sit around preening for 15 - 20 minutes, then goes back in and onto the nest.

Is this ok? the weight loss? the time off the nest?

She is still in the coop with the other girls as well. I hope i did ok letting her stay there. No one seems to bother her excpet to lay eggs next to her. She rolls them under her on a daily basis. I have her '3' eggs marked, so i know which ones go when i get there!

I am starting to ponder the near future. Can i let her hatch in the coop with the others? Do i need to move her NOW before things get any further? I am so scared that i am going to do something wrong. I think i am more nervous than her!!!!!

I am just so concerned with her weight.[​IMG]

8. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I know it's frustrating when they don't get off the nest and eat but she will get off once a day and go poop and eat and drink. Just look for huge poops! HA
    My little broody sat on her eggs for 21 days exactly. One hatched one day the other the next day. They are fine. I didn't leave food and water right in the box but very very close to her.
    I did separate her and the babies once they hatched. She was a happy camper once she had those babies. She was dusting herself and running around like crazy but she didn't stay away very long.

9. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Oh, and she might get off when you are not looking. That's why I said look for the big poops.
    She doesn't want her nest disturbed. My hens also laid their eggs in her box. I had mine marked too.

10. the only huge poops i have been able to find are the ones she leaves when i take her off the nest. They were really huge, now not so big. her nest box is off the ground about 2 feet. Do i need to move them (hen and chicks) once they hatch? It's to far down for the chicks! can i let her raise them in the pen with the others or do i need to block her off from the others? I had not planned on taking the chicks from her, let her raise them!!!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by