OMG...I am Shocked!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bec, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Hmm... I wonder if all those little kids know what is happening to their adorable little chicks :| But, then again... I can understand, they want urban kids to experience the wonder of chicken hatching but do NOT want a bunch of chickens running amuck in urban sprawl. There's no way for them to be sure that they are going to places that are allowed to have them, and I'm sure that it was probably a stipulation put forth in order to allow the program to continue. You know. At least they are being used as food for animals and not thrown out with the trash.

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I have a friend who is a teacher and he lives on a farm, he brings his own eggs in and hatches them and then takes them home to live on his farm.
    Poor little chickies.

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Tell your kid to wear a baggy hoodie to school and steal them! Seriously. If I lived closer I'd go in there and do it for you. How evil! "Look kids you hatched babies, okay give em back and we'll murder them for no reason". I read something on the internet about another area euthanizing schoolkids' hatched chicks. Write a letter to the editor of the newspaper and print that out and give it to all the moms. Maybe you can protest. Good luck!

5. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Poor babies! Shall we stage a break out! My son in school hatches chicks last year. A release was sent home asking if we wanted to keep a chick. At the time I was not planning to do this so I said no. I believe they said the chicks went back to the farm the eggs came from...............

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Isn't that just terrible??? I already wrote a note to his teach (before finding this) and asking if we could possible have some. I explained that we have chickens here at home and would provide a great home. Don't know if I will have any luck.
    On the other hand, I understand about the fact that they can;t just send babies home with the kids, but geeze....on the paper he got it said they would be given to local farms...well I am a local farm!! I hope that I will get to have some...keep your fingers crossed for me!!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is a life cycle. Everything eats something. It isn't any different from the eggs we hatch and raise for meat for our table - chickens, geese, ducks etc.

I do question why they don't contact hatcheries that routinely destroy male chicks in aweful ways to help feed zoo animals.

8. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    While it can seem cruel or unusual, it beats wild chickens from running around town trying to find something to eat. The fact there feeding them to zoo animals means there helping to preserve wildlife also. :aww

9. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Quote:Amen! That would be a great idea. Those male chicks are done for anyway, why kill more from a classroom!

I do understand the circle of life and that things must die so others survive. It does not mean I have to like it! I am vegetarian because of it. After seeing the cruelity our feed animals are put through, I stoped eating it. Seeing how the hens are treated for us to have our eggs in the store prompted my desire to have a backyard flock!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  10. bamadominaker

bamadominaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Honoraville, Alabama
    [​IMG] So you pay for the educational aspect only for the 4-H to take them from you and have them put to sleep. I must have something wrong with my logic of 4-H. I thought they taught children how to care for animals. Even if the chicks are the commerical chicks, someone may still want them. I don't think I would let my child participate in a project that would eventually lead to death. But that's me. Poor Poor babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by