OMG I am so excited !!!!!!

Pics

ProudRedneck

Songster
Apr 11, 2022
Fruit Cove/St Augustine FL
I am a brand new duck mom as of 6 months ago when I found a 1-2 day old Muscovy in the middle of a road, and now my baby girl has laid her very first egg !!!!!!! More to come later as I am so daggum excited I don't know what to do first. I've texted my Dad, my son, and my step-daughter and now, I'm on here screaming it with excitement to share with yall. :celebrate:wee

Its so exciting!! My rescued 1-2 day old last year was also a muscovy but he is a drake! I did adopt a female muscovy from avrehabber and she was a good layer!!

Now you need to get a countertop container for her eggs. Don't wash them although you can wipe any debris gently. If you do wash them you have to store them in the refrigerator and they dont store as long

Attachments

• 20220504_150513.jpg
    20220504_150513.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 4
You didn't tell US FIRST?!? :eek:
I am so sorry but I just got so excited and I wanted to take pictures to post with this announcement but then I got overwhelmed by trying to remember or think of everything and anything I needed to or should document by the time I did those things, I felt like it would be later tonight that I could tell yall and I wanted to let you know as soon as I could (in case any advise could be offered).

Congratulations!!!! That’s so eggciting
Thank you. I've gone through a really really deep & dark depression and I can't express how much Daffy, along with her beau Daisy has helped me get through it. I am still struggling and trying to not redirect my emotions on unnecessary worries about them but it's been really hard. I hover over them constantly and watch every little thing they do so I can control what I can control if that makes any sense. I feel like I am rambling. Point is, I have struggled with her mating so soon (5 months old) and now, even though I am excited that she has laid her first egg, my worries now shift to....ok she's now going to have more, what if the next one doesn't go smoothly, what if.....what if....what if, to a point, my thoughts end at what if it causes her to die. I just couldn't handle that. I'm sorry that got depressing when I should be focusing on her successful first egg, and her seeming to not have any residual effects from doing so.

I gave her oyster shells over a month ago to make sure she wouldn't have a problem with soft shells, she has a 16-gallon water tub in the run with her in case she needed to soak/relax....and I gave her extra thick bedding in the attached duck house so she could be as comfortable as possible.

Last edited:
Its so exciting!! My rescued 1-2 day old last year was also a muscovy but he is a drake! I did adopt a female muscovy from avrehabber and she was a good layer!!

Now you need to get a countertop container for her eggs. Don't wash them although you can wipe any debris gently. If you do wash them you have to store them in the refrigerator and they dont store as long
I only removed it long enough to weigh it and take a few photos. As emotional as I am right now, I don't know if I'll be able to eat any of her eggs until I know they aren't fertile.

Are you letting her hatch it, or will it be omelette?

Grats, btw! :) I remember how I felt the first time I found an egg from ours last Spring!
I can't bring myself to eat her first one. It sounded like such an awesome idea at the beginning but I've gotten so attached that I would correlate eating one of her eggs to eating her. It makes me want to cry thinking about it. Perhaps if/when the excitement of her laying eggs wears off then maybe but I'll have to cross that road later. I would like to at least find out if they are fertile or not. Daisy is a SA drake and I've read that the fertility rate of Muscovy eggs with Mallard-derived ducks is low. If it's not fertile, then yeah I guess I'll be ok with it being eaten.

Back
Top Bottom