OMG....... I DID IT AGAIN---- SOMEONE STOP ME!!!! UPDATED POST

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicks9, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Edited to add today. I ended up having to rehome my Americaunas because of all the noise and stress here from the Gas drilling. Made me very sad as I have had them from day 2 of life, but they went to a great home with Ninjapoodles and they are doing great. So of course now I am down to 19 instead of 24 hens that will be all eventually laying for me!!! Tragedy of tradegies!!!(That can not happen----- must have an even amount! ) So I already figure I have 14 coming in September but ----- that is only 33 hens, OMG what to do I wanted AT LEAST 3 dozen. So --- of course ----- you already KNOW what I have done!!!!! I called Ideal ( those rotten no good enablers - all to happy to change orders ) and of course ordered 3 more chicks and now already I am sitting here thinking I should order a couple extra just in case we have a tragedy or two so I can stay at 3 dozen layers. Some one stop me or this will never , ever , end and the chickie takeover will be here in Arkansas and my husband will know for sure that I am a friutcake!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well I did it again I just love those fuzzy butts so much and looking at those pictures makes me just keep wanting more soo- I did it again. Just placed another order with Ideal for 14 more fuzzies. They aren't going to come until September and I have planned it that way so all the little ones will be old enough to intergrate with the big girls by then. We are adding another bigger run before that and dividing the coop to give the big ones more room and the little ones will start on the floor in a smaller divided area of thier own. They will all see each other but not be able to get to one another. This will pretty much complete my flock ----- for now (it is NEVER enough) and I will have constant laying hens as I have staggered the ages to include the molting times. I just love those fuzzies but I am going to stop buying more with these----- I am not addicted, I can stop whenever I want ---- I CAN ----- stop laughing and get up!!!!!!! As I was saying this will complete the flock for now, ---- although ------ in the spring the DH is talking of making the coop twice the size that it is now to give them more room. I am sure I will not order more though, ---- well probably not, ------ well , maybe not. OH STOP it now. LOL Trudy

(you all know me soooooo well don't you!)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited to add this ---- and you will all be laughing now!!!! ----
    OMG --- I have to stop this madness, I just called Ideal and changed the order twice on her in 10 minutes and she was still nice, and she even asked me if I wanted to up the order to more! What does she think I am ----- A Chicken ADDICT??????

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Trudy,
    How old will your two groups of older chickens with you integrate them? I am looking at the same situation, sort of. I have 6 - 17 week olds and 9 - 3 week olds sharing a divided hen house. Hoping the chicken wire divider makes them comfortable with each other. Was wondering at what age the younger ones can be before they become one flock?
    Gram

3. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hi Gram , I have 10 - 13 week olds, 8 - 7 week olds and 6 - 3 week olds now in a divided coop. the 3 and 7 week olds live together in one side and the 13 week olds have the other side. They have chicken wire walls up in the coop so they can see each other but not get to each other. When I mixed the 3 and 7 week olds together the age was 4 and 1 1/2 weeks and I watched them intensly for 5 to 6 hours each day for 2 days as I knew it wasn't going to be pretty but they did pretty well and all do very well together now. I will not put the 7 week olds in with the 13 week old girls for probably another month yet, rule of thumb being let them be as close to the same size as you can before mixing. So I will wait until they are about 11 weeks old and then when the three week olds get to be about 9 - 11 weeks we will add them in also. I know about how big my girls were when they were 9 weeks old and I think they will do okay. Expect there will be evil stare downs, chest bumping and pecking going on for a day or two and try to be there to help monitor it if it gets nasty. I keep a broom handy and I sit right in the run to be ready but I try to not meddle unless it gets ugly. They seem to work it out pretty well, and my girls have seen each other since day one, plus I will be putting the big girls into the side that the little ones are in now, so they will not be on their home turf so maybe that will help to cool the situation when that time comes. Trudy

4. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks Trudy,
    That helps. It is nice to hear from others in the same situation.
    Gram

5. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    You are welcome and good luck with the mixing. Mine has gone pretty easy , so far.

6. sarahs31

sarahs31 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Too funny! I can so relate! My friend and I call it "chicken crack". I went to the feed mill last Thursday to pick up my last order of meat birds and he mentioned they where getting Welsummers in the next day. Well, shoot! They need a good home right? I'll come back for three, oh wait, save six. I'm sure someone will take them if I don't have room.

Fast forward a couple of days, I went back on Tuesday to pick up my six and came home with eight. My friend just laughed and said I have no self control. Well, duh....I do! There where a lot more than eight in there and some silkies, polish and cochins! She should be proud that I only came home with eight.

Have fun with your fuzzies. Do you need some Welsummers? I can run back. [​IMG]

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I ordered more get em in 2 weeks and will be ordering more in the fall.
    Since the bantums only come in strait run ill need more then and ill be ordering my marans then with feathered legs,so i think that makes em french and a few more EE pullets.

Im hoping that will do it,cause i wont have anymore room for more.

8. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

This has definitely become a chick-ddiction!! I'm really trying hard not to order any more fluffy butts. My girls and boys are 5-7 weeks old now, and I miss having lil peeps in the house. Well we'd need to build a bigger coop if we get more, so until I do that we'll have to wait. Oooo, but I would sure love some more!!! [​IMG]

Sonja

9. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    I think we need to start a 12 step program for Chicken Addictions [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

That would help!! [​IMG] I've been thinking of calling the feed store where I got my first batch of chicks to find out when they'll be ordering next spring! I want my name on the list!! [​IMG]

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by