1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG- I did it!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Secretlyspotted, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    I placed my order for baby chicks from MPC! They don't arrive until the week of Feb 3- but I'm so excited! And I have so much to do. Most of which consists of bugging my husband until he builds my brooder. I just started in the whole "chicken thing" a couple months ago with a small flock of pullets. When this order arrives I'll have 20 chickens! Whoa. That sounds like a lot. Anyway- I plan to be on this board a lot so I can figure out just what the heck I'm doing. So excited!!!

2. pattersonml

pattersonml Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Bradyville, TN
    Grats on your order. We just got our newest batch from Mt. Healthy back on the 21st and I had to have a brooder prepped and ready to go in less that 2 days so I know what your husband is going through, my wife was on me every twenty minutes til it was done and when we got our call from our post office I still had to attach the brooder lamp stand in a hurry. We ended up getting an additional 25 on top of our order of 50 so I had to make a second brooder REAL fast in order to house them all since the original was only set for 50, then to top it off we had an additional 3 hatch from our hens in the coop.

3. Secretlyspotted

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    I think hubby is going to luck out of this one, because the more I think about it the more I want to use a giant cardboard box. I think I will line it with a cheap plastic tablecloth, then wood shavings. Then I don't have a big wooden box I to store for when the chicks are older. Of course, I'm sure there are problems with this scenario too. I have to do so much more research!

4. pattersonml

Nov 16, 2013
    Bradyville, TN
    Our first baby brooder started out as a cardboard box that I attached a light bulb to and kept sealed up to maintain the temperature. We kept it lined with paper towels and alfalfa hay instead of shavings. Later on I cut out the side of the box and attached a plexiglass window to it so I could keep an eye on them without constantly opening it up. We have since retired the little cardboard box in favor of a brooder that I built a few weeks ago for this new batch. It's not the best but it is made from reclaimed wood . scrap wood, and scrap wire so it was free, that happens to be one of my favorite words, free. Our other brooder, we converted an old great pyrenees dog carrier by cutting out a whole in the top to hang the heat lamp from and securing it to an adjustable height board to regulate the heat.

5. Secretlyspotted

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    Oh- see I hadn't thought about the box having to be closed to maintain the temp. I was figuring that the top could be open with some hard wire cloth or something over it to keep cats out and chicks in. Now I'm back to the drawing board, cause I have a 4 yr old that will want to watch her babies constantly.

6. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    The cardboard box does well with younger chicks but they'll need a little more space as they grow. I've never kept the box shut at all times. I just assume if they're cold they'll go to a warmer spot and if they get hot they can move away from it. Never had a chick die either. And the plexiglass window is a brilliant idea, you can watch and not disturb. That's how I like to operate. giving my animals as close to a natural environment as possible and as little human interaction as possible. Anywho good luck on the little'ns. Have fun with em while you can, as kids chickens grow fast as well.

7. pattersonml

Nov 16, 2013
    Bradyville, TN
    We kept the box shut at all times because of our high volume of furred friends that live with us. They come and go as they want it seems, but one thing is standard with all of them, their love for chicken as much as us. We used vent holes up and down the sides in order to keep air flowing in, and kept a fan close to it as well to maintain fresh air flow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by