OMG...I feel so bad...U2 killed my African grey today..sick about it!!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by bugladyleah, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Oh geez...you guys. I am so mad at myself. I have had an Umbrella cockatoo for 5 years that I took in from a bad situation. Today, when I was busy selling chicks to someone outside, the U2 attacked and killed my African grey (my baby..I handfed her). It was TOTALLY my fault. I knew this U2 was aggressive with other birds and I didn't realize they were both loose. The U2 flew off his perch in one room and went to the other room and climbed up in the grey's cage and grabbed her. I am sick sick sick about it.

2. Picklestix7866

Picklestix7866 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Thawing Minnesota
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Awww. I'm so sorry. That sucks.

PS what is a U2?

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    So sorry [​IMG]

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    U = umbrella
    2 = too (short for cockatoo)

Or at least that's what I'm guessing...

Sorry that this happened. [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm SO sorry!!! [​IMG] i can not even imagine... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Aww, that is awful, I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

8. bugladyleah

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Yeah, U2 is short for Umbrella cockatoo. This guy is such a sad story. He was in a home for 10 years in a cage. I took him b/c I felt SOOOOO bad for him. He was my bird. I could do anything to him, but he always was really iffy with the other birds here. He once grabbed my Meyer's parrot and I thought he "popped" his eye. Many trips to the avian vet later, the Meyer's was fine. So I knew knew knew what he was capable of and I just let my guard down and wasn't paying attention. He also has been acting VERY aggressive with my 2 yo DD. It is a jealousy thing. He is going to a new home tomorrow with no kids. I just cannot take the risk of him grabbing one of the kids. He can do such damage in such a short amount of time. This has just proven the point. It isn't his fault, but I just can't take the risk.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. bugladyleah

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    And thanks everyone. I knew there were some softies out there that could commiserate with me [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm so sorry to hear that! Its sickening to see some of the situations parrots have been put in. It was awesome that you gave him a great home and I am so sorry that happened to your african grey. I know it is very easy to forget to close a cage door and often times I've gone into the sanctuary and random birds have been out. Fortunately I've never had anything terrible happen, but it wouldn't take much and I would be just as heartbroken and sick.

Hopefully the U2 will do well in his new home and you will be able to find another grey to steal your heart. I know what wonderful birds they can be. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by