OMG! I finally had to do it!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Sep 14, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My adult flock is 29 months old. For the very first time since they started laying I had to buy eggs at the store today. All my girls are molting and even though 2 are continuing to lay despite their molt, they are only laying about four days a week. That's not enough eggs for this family.
    Hope the girls hurry up with this molt. Store bought eggs are [​IMG]

2. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    [​IMG] Wow I'm sorry! I totally agree on the [​IMG]

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

You poor thing, no one should have to eat store bought hen apples.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    That just means you need to get more chickens. [​IMG] If you have birds at different stages of growth, some will be laying and others will be molting. LOL:D

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    That's one of the reasons why I insisted on buying more birds end of last Feb. So that when the big girls were in moult, the new girls would be laying. So far, so good. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry. If you were closer, I'd give you a couple dozen. No one should have to eat those anemic store eggs!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I have more in the juvenile coop. They are just not quite ready to lay - they'll be 15 weeks old tomorrow. [​IMG]

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Getting closer. You'll be fine.[​IMG]

9. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Heh, how many adults do you have now, Gritsar? I'm glad that I ended up getting six instead of the three that I'd planned on (and now I have eight -- one just starting, two not started yet. One of the adults went into the stew pot.), because they would have just never kept up. Having not experienced a major molt, I'm still not certain they'll keep up, but we are currently stockpiling eggs, so we'll see.

My mom was amazed to hear this weekend that my ladies had laid 775 eggs since the first one last November. It's not hard to believe that number necessarily, but what's hard to believe is that we USE that many.

10. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have 12 layers and only get one egg a day [​IMG] .If I am lucky I have to buy eggs all the time. No more free ranging until there "job" is done. Only 17 eggs all summer long from 12 hens that are laying (somwhere).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by