omg! i found an egg... (UPDATE...I found ANOTHER 2/14!!!) PICS PG.1

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BellLisamo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Now what do I do with it? It was just laid, as it was warm when i found it. I want to incubate the eggs, my hens aren't broody at all. They suck. So what do i do!!??! I will buy my incubator tomorrow. What do I do with the egg til then?!?!

Oh, the egg is pointer on one side, and it has a tiny little notch or nipple on it. What does that mean?

Here it is.

[​IMG]

I dont know which hen it came from. I have a leghorn and a polish. Any ideas?

HERE ARE THE UPDATED PICS.
    The one on the left was from yesterday. The right one is todays egg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  2. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Congrats! Well, you can hold onto your egg until you get your incubator, but not for long. Your aren't going to incubate just one egg are you? Or, you could eat the egg, until you can get more than one egg. Doesn't look like anything is wrong with your egg. It is suppose to be pointy on one end..Oh yeah, and [​IMG]

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    well how long can i keep and egg before i incubate them? I get about 3 a week so far. My hens are still young. I know they MUST be fertile because my rooster is a happy one with his two hens

hehe

4. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Quote:I don't hatch anything that is over 14 days. I am sure there are others on here that have more advice.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It would be best to eat this one and wait until your chickens lay a few more. The first few eggs can have weird things like being extra pointed that will keep the chicks from hatching. Sometimes they don't even have a yolk. I tried to set one from my EEs that have been laying a couple weeks and it had half a yolk with only a tiny bit of white despite looking normal on the outside. It takes awhile for the hens to get their egg laying straightened out so the eggs come out normal. The eggs will also get bigger. Sometimes just being smaller than average is enough to cramp the chicks so they can't hatch or develop properly.

When you do start collecting eggs store them pointed end down in a carton and set one side of the carton on something. Tilt which side is up at least once a day. The best temp to store them at is around 60F but I've hatched refridgerated eggs and others will store their eggs at room temp. They will keep for about a week, 10 days max, before hatching rate goes down.

6. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:thank you for the advice!!! i cant wait til they lay more

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'm guessing Polish...

My leghorns' eggs have been more store-egg looking than that from the very first egg, and my Polish girls' eggs have all started off pointy. I don't know if they'll stay that way or not, but after a couple weeks of laying, they're still really pointy.

8. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Is'nt it just the most exciting thing to discover an egg. You think someone put it there to trick you and you can't wait for the next day to see if you get another.
    Congratulations

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's kinda like Christmas everyday!

Congratulations..

... and btw, the pic is not the best, but i'd guess it came from the polish.

10. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Congrats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by