OMG!! I have a BROODY!!! HELP!! PICS ADDED pg 4

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Damummis, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I have a partridge Cochin who just started laying 4 weeks ago. She has gone broody. What do I do?? Let nature do its thing?? I have no room for her in the house. Should I break her up or let her set? It is going to get cold here in a few days. 20's/ teens over night. Will the chicks be OK? HELP!!!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Do you have a rooster?

3. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Yes, Thor. He does his job well if you know what I mean. Thor is a Light Brahma. I am curious about babies with this cross.

4. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Do you have room for chicks? If you want them, let her hatch them. Bring her inside (anywhere you can find) and put her in a dog crate or rubbermaid tub. with acces to food and water. give her some straw or hay for a nest. if you want to break her, just put her in a wire cage with no bottom for a while.

5. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    The problem is I really have no room inside right now. In the spring I use my sewing room, but right now I have some projects for work so I can't use the room.

Can I go old school? Like 1910 old school. Just let her do everything. I was thinking of giving her a couple eggs. I did take her out of the nest twice. She was so sad. Had some food and water and hopped right back up there.

6. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    We let our hen hatch her eggs out in the coop. Just make sure she's in a spot (preferably a cage or something like it with her own food and water) where the other chickens can't get to her. If she won't move (ours wouldn't), then just keep an eye on her and she should be fine!
    Congratulations on your broody!

7. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I am SO nervous. Butterflies, the whole shabang.

8. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I put 4 eggs under her this morning. Now we just wait. OH YEAH!! [​IMG]

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Just lether stay broody in the eggbox. Just make sure she at least gets off her eggs once a day to eat and drink.

10. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Quote:Maxx,
    That is one thing I worry about. She doesn't want to move at all. Should I dig out the chick feeder and waterer and put food and water near her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by