1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

OMG.......I have poison Ivy again

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tobin123, Nov 11, 2010.

  1. tobin123

    tobin123 Songster

    Mar 4, 2009
    [​IMG] I can't believe it again...yes again.I seemed to have gotten a rash on my face again and it seems to be poison ivy AGAIN.I have no idea on how I got it unless the outside cats have been in it and when I hold them I am getting it.I am doing everything to not itch.
    I rub alcohol on it to dry it out
    I am using campho.to put on it
    I am taking benadryl for the itch but that makes me tired
    It's driving me crazy [​IMG]

  2. krcote

    krcote Songster

    May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    This is the story of my life. I get it from pets at work. THE ONLY thing that works for me is Ivy Dry. It is the most expensive thing on the shelf but well worth it. GO GET SOME QUICK!!!
  3. superchemicalgirl

    superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

    Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I feel for you. I'm covered in poison ivy rash pretty much from April to September. I bought a house up here in the middle of winter (snow everywhere) and never thought that an area could have so much poison ivy in it. I was pulling up "weeds" barehanded my first spring here! That was fun.

    If it's bad on your face I'd suggest going to a doctor and getting some prednisone for about 10 days. Don't let them talk you into a Medrol dose pack.
  4. joedie

    joedie Songster

    Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    The Urushioil from the plant can stay active on inanimate objects for several months, so it could be on a rake or yes your cat could brush up against it and you touch the object and voila! You can try bathing in colloidal oatmeal to help with the itching as well as calamine lotion, benadryl cream, Ivyrest, I don't think one is any better than the other. If it's around your eyes or "where the sun doesn't shine" you may need a steroid dose pack. Just remember, it is NOT spread by the fluid filled blisters breaking, it's where the oil touched before you washed. It takes longer to go thru thicker skin in parts of the body so appears to be spreading!
  5. Happy Chooks

    Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

    Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I can so relate. We don't have poison ivy here, but we have poison oak. I currently have a pretty batch of it on my arm. You should have seen me last year-I had it everywhere, including IN my eyes (such nice goopy stuff coming out of them) and on my lips. I went to the doctor and he asked me what I did. Hubby asked me to look over a burn pile while he went to work and I asked him if there was poison oak in it (because I know how bad I get it) and he told me no. The doctor told me I'm not to be around any more of Dh's burn piles. [​IMG]
  6. desertdarlene

    desertdarlene Songster

    Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I deal with poison oak here, too. The bad thing is that they go dormant and look like regular stalks of twigs or heavy grass and that often gets me. I use hydrocortisone cream and it works great. The problem is that the more I get exposed to it, the worse and more itchy the reaction gets.
  7. dawg53

    dawg53 Humble Premium Member

    Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    This thread is making me itch!

  8. At Rural King they have "Grandma's Poison Ivy Soap". It's $5 for a small bar, but it is by far the best stuff I have used. Takes about three days, but it dries it up and controls that itching. Benadryl by mouth is about the best thing for the itching too. Beats a shot and all those nasty little pills you have to take for so many days from the doctor!!!
  9. tobin123

    tobin123 Songster

    Mar 4, 2009
    [​IMG] I am going crazy here,I took a benadryl and fianlly after we finished school(homeschool)I started to get tired so I laid on the couch while my son(10) just played instead he and the dog kept me up with running and barking.
    I think I got it from the wood that my husband and son cut and split for our wood this year.He says that it is ivy not the poison ivy on it,I can't tell BC it is thick vines,it doesn't look like poion ivy.I am trying to figure out if I should even teach my kindergarten class tomorrow,what do you think [​IMG]
  10. desertdarlene

    desertdarlene Songster

    Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    From what I understand, the rash itself is not contagious. However, if you are really suffering, can't stay awake, can't stop itching, and can take a sick day, I think it would be a good idea to take that day off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by